Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I had a quick question for you guys who have installed your own fishfinders?

I purchased a Humminbird 597ci hd di unit. Obviously I didn't have a choice as to which transducer came with it. It came with the transom mount transducer.

Am I able to mount this transducer inside, to shoot through the hull?, or do I have to exchange or purchase a different one?

I don't want to go through the whole installation and find out that it will not shoot through the hull, and have to start all over again.

Thanks a lot

Yours Sincerely

Karl Hyde

·
Red Solo Kayak
1,269 Posts
most FF come with a transom mount style transducer. Thats what i installed on my Tarpon and my Outback. Exactly it was a Hummingbird 160. Simple and effective and it shoots thru hull. To answer your question it should be fine unless the transducer specifically states to "NOT install for thru hull imaging" or something to that effect.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mr Pho,
I thought that it might work, but I ordered the Hobie Fullsize Fishfinder installation kit, and neither of the two foam transducer cut-outs are the right size..

·
Super Moderator
19,477 Posts
Humminbird has exceptional customer service and will trade you the stock transducer for another one they make free of charge. I have done this twice, give them a shout. Turn around time is around 5-7 days.

·
Red Solo Kayak
1,269 Posts
Transducer designs change so the Hobie kit might be outdated. If you haven't already searched for how to's to installing a transducer you should. The foam centering block is not necessary but makes things neat. I've used plumbers putty, large helping of marine goop and the foam centering block and they all work well. In the end I stuck its a large helping of marine goop. Be fore warned your temps will Never be accurate it will usually reflect the inner hull temperature.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys,
Well I just got an e-mail back from Humminbird. They answered my questions.

The transom mount transducer, that comes with the 597ci hd di unit, can be used to shoot through the hull.
It is a powerful transducer , and the Down imagining will work, being shot through the hull, with out any loss of signal at all. The unit will work, perfectly fine, but there won't be an accurate temperature reading. That's the only thing.

Karl Hyde

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Mac,
I would love to have that option, but as it's a Lowrance, I don't know if it will work with the Humminbird 597ci hd di unit. Also don't know if the "Down Imagining" part would work either...

Karl Hyde

·
Formerly Hank Hill
839 Posts
On that application the transducer mounts to basically what would replace the transducer bracket. I've had both Lowrance and Humminbirds, I think the top of the transducer is about the same width there where it attaches to the bracket. I think thats all that matters. West Marine stocks them, you could take your transducer and check the fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts