Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I picked up some new land this past month that is holding a good amount of deer. It is very close to a blank canvas. It is 209 acres shaped like a rectangle with a good road system and a few creeks. It's about 1.5 miles long by 500yards wide with larger pines and smaller hardwoods along the creeks.I want to grow deer as big as I can so i'm looking for a little advice. Here is my plan so far.

1. We have 5 good sized cleared areas for plots ans a lot of thinned areas in pines. I am planning to plant summer plots of peas. My question on this part is are peas the way to go as far as antler growth? And should I also use some kind of supplement to bost growth and if so what? I have 4 feeders to put out but from what I understand corn does nothing for antler growth. I plan to set the feeding times at 5:30am and 2pm to get the deer used to coming out in sunlight hours. As far as the thinned pines go I was going to make a few strip plots in ares away from the bigger plots. How much of a seperation should i have between feeding areas?

2. My plan is to have set areas for hunting and all other woods are off limits. How many stands should I have on the land and how much should be off limits.

I am really going for bigger deer so think QDM. It has been my experianceto give the deer as much safe places and to stay out of the woods as much as possible.As it stands now I know of 5 nice bucks from my camera but they all lack mass. I have only put the camera out in 1 spot so 190 acres are still untouched.Even the 7 point Jon killed I think should have been bigger with some help. What would you all do if this was yours. Here is what i'm working with: A tractor, disk, and a bush hog. I also have a plow that attaches to my 4-wheeler.

Another idea i'm kicking around is to not shoot doe off plots after a certain date but that gets in the way of safe zones. Should I rotate doe plots at the half season mark. I have already talked with the surounding land owners and we all want 6 point or better. We only have3 guys hunting including myself and 1 only hunts weekends the other is my dad who works the rigs and is only off every 3 weeks.

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
If this land is in NWFL, then good luck! I have lived and hunted in NWFL for more than 30 years and the soil / genetics will only produce so much.:banghead Best thing to do is let the deer live as long as you can because naturally an older deer will have more mass. However, 190 acres is not a large amount of land to try and raise quality deer. An average buck will travel that plus some.Chances are that your neighbor will shoot him as soon as he gets 3+ years old. Enjoy what you got and try to be as responsible as you can but with the reality that you are still in NWFL.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's in Alabama 15 miles north of Brewton near I-65. I know they travel but i do disagree with the fact that they will just prance on over to the neighbors in shooting light. I think it's all about preasure. If we stay out they will stay in. The biggest rule with the 3 of us is no stomping at all durring deer season. I don't care what anyone says about that b/c of experiance. If anything they will show up on our land where it's safe and they have a ton of food. A great example of the stomping rule is the club I just got out of. The bucks on that property we saw before season started were better than I have ever seen in south bama. Due to stompers always needing to see tracks in the plots and the scrapes in the woods near there stands and shooting doe off plots in late seasononly 2 bucks were killed and poor at that. The plots will grow fine + i'm taking samples to the UF thing at the county office. The other club i was in grew some fine plots. I just want what feeds the best.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Congrats on the new property!

1. What do your neighbors on all 4 sides do?

2. Set your stands up on the outside perimeter of the property.....In LA stands must be 150' from the line....Leave the interior as a safe haven for the deer....

3. Check with farmers in the area as to what does best in your typeof soil.....Pull soil samples if necessary.....Talk to your county agent.....

We have a 250 acre privately owned plot....50 on north side of a limestone private road and 200 on the other. Onthe 50 acres, we have 8 stands around the edge.On the200, we have 13 stands. Not all are hunted at the same time due to excess rain or Mississippi river water. This property is surrounded by another club that shoots 6 point or better bucks and members can only shoot 2 does per person. On one of the stands that I hunt, I had pictures of 18 different bucks from 1/25/10-1/30/10...1-10 pt, 1-9 pt(broke tines-I shot him on Sat afternoon), 2-8 pt, 1-7 pt, 2-6 pt, 2-5 pt, 3-4 pt, 1-3 pt and 5 spikes.....465 pix in all with lotsa does and yearlings......We walk to all stands...sometimes it's a long walk.....No motors except when filling feeders or picking up a dead critter....With the little bit of pressure from the 3 of you , you shoudn't need to rotate anything.....YMMV

Good luck with your property....

George

·
Super Moderator
19,887 Posts
The biggest question is who hunts around you. You cant successfully QDM 209 acres if your neighbors shoot spikes.

You need to shoot Imkilroy a PM and ask him about their summer feeding regiment. They have it figured out and I dont think he would mine giving you a few tips.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Speckulator (2/1/2010)Congrats on the new property!

1. What do your neighbors on all 4 sides do?

2. Set your stands up on the outside perimeter of the property.....In LA stands must be 150' from the line....Leave the interior as a safe haven for the deer....

3. Check with farmers in the area as to what does best in your typeof soil.....Pull soil samples if necessary.....Talk to your county agent.....

We have a 250 acre privately owned plot....50 on north side of a limestone private road and 200 on the other. Onthe 50 acres, we have 8 stands around the edge.On the200, we have 13 stands. Not all are hunted at the same time due to excess rain or Mississippi river water. This property is surrounded by another club that shoots 6 point or better bucks and members can only shoot 2 does per person. On one of the stands that I hunt, I had pictures of 18 different bucks from 1/25/10-1/30/10...1-10 pt, 1-9 pt(broke tines-I shot him on Sat afternoon), 2-8 pt, 1-7 pt, 2-6 pt, 2-5 pt, 3-4 pt, 1-3 pt and 5 spikes.....465 pix in all with lotsa does and yearlings......We walk to all stands...sometimes it's a long walk.....No motors except when filling feeders or picking up a dead critter....

Good luck with your property....

George
Thanks. We are also doing the no ATV thing. One question I have for you is how many guys do you have and how many deer can they kill each. I have never hunted a small property so I need to figure that out. I was thinking 3 doe and 2 bucks per guy.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Splittine (2/1/2010)The biggest question is who hunts around you. You cant successfully QDM 209 acres if your neighbors shoot spikes.

You need to shoot Imkilroy a PM and ask him about their summer feeding regiment. They have it figured out and I dont think he would mine giving you a few tips.
Thanks I will. Neighbors shoot 6 or better. Or so they say.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
whether you believe it or not doesnt mean its not true and during the rut your deer will get killed by your neighbors. bucks run all over the place during the rut. it doesnt matter if you have a buffet of food and does in the center of your property, the bucks that live on your land will venture out to the surrounding properties. the big buck that we killed yesterday on our camp had never been seen before. we have cameras all over our property all year long and weve never laid eyes on that buck. my buddy was hunting about 50 yards off our property line, which just happens to be a fairly heavy traveled public road, and he said the buck crossed the road from our neighbors property.

BUT you cant grow big deer if you dont set your goals to do so. if you make your mind up that you arent gonna shoot any bucks less than 4.5 yrs old and stick to it, at least you know that you didnt kill the young bucks so they have the opportunity to grow. your neighbor might but you cant control that. you need to talk to imkillroy. i know his club is the forreal deal QDM club! they GROW their deer but they also have alot more property. they do ALOT of protein feeding to help the antler growth and they let them get old! 2 most important factors IMO

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know they travel but if I can keep what they are traveling for on my land it should limit it some. And if the rut next year is like it was this year they wont be full rut and may stick around. I will get ahold of that guy tonight. What i'm trying to stop is what happened to the club I was in. ALL the big bucks left or went nocturnal. They came back at night but left before sun up. Every night driving home I saw a monster on Bethel rd walking back to our land. That strech of rd is a poachers dream.

·
Praedator
10,048 Posts
All I know is that you have some promising land James. But what do I know, I am completly new to this thing. I think you should have a great guest programno matter what you do. Because it seems like it's the guest that bring the big ones out. Thanks again man.:letsdrink

Just try to get the herd balanced. In Alabama, i think you have a good chance to do that. Your land is not huge. But I think it is enough to manage a decent enough herd if your neighbors are doing something similar.

·
Super Moderator
28,577 Posts
Chase is on track bout not being able to QDM that bit of acreage...I'd just follow your neighbors rules...I know I've let legal small bucks pass on the properties around my place and more then likely borders and BW finish em off:banghead You also said you had good road frontage which means easy access to poachers...get friendly w/ local game wardens. As fer supplements, I wouldn't put supplements in a spin feeder. I'd get a couple troughs, put a cover over head, and a good smaller and skinny food plot at each 1 for your sanctuaries. Mix the supplement w/ corn about 20% supp 1st then gradually climb it up in %.

Congrats on getting the property and good luck!:letsdrink:letsdrink:letsdrink

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will take a new hunter at the end of every year. All of us should have a bunch of deer by then. Hopefully they all leave feeling like they stole from me with a bloody face like you did. I would take you up on the spear fishing thing but my vag won't let me take the chance of seeing a shark.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jason (2/1/2010)Chase is on track bout not being able to QDM that bit of acreage...I'd just follow your neighbors rules...I know I've let legal small bucks pass on the properties around my place and more then likely borders and BW finish em off:banghead You also said you had good road frontage which means easy access to poachers...get friendly w/ local game wardens. As fer supplements, I wouldn't put supplements in a spin feeder. I'd get a couple troughs, put a cover over head, and a good smaller and skinny food plot at each 1 for your sanctuaries. Mix the supplement w/ corn about 20% supp 1st then gradually climb it up in %.

Congrats on getting the property and good luck!:letsdrink:letsdrink:letsdrink
I'm glad you said that b/c the guy at the feed store on 87 told me that it works well in feeders. I thought it might cake up.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
As far as how much land to devote to food plots and a sanctuary, I would try to have 5% of your land in plots, so about 10.5 acres of food plots would be just right. I'd also devote the thickest, nastiest 20 acres (about 10% of your land) as a sanctuary, and never go in there.

Good luck.

Ed

·
Registered
96 Posts
First off I am no expert, and do not claim to be, but I have produced several 150" and a few 160" bucks off of my property, I am a lot like you I own 200 acres, and lease another 140 that is within 1/4 mile away. Bottom line don't shoot young deer. It has been mentioned here that if you don't your neighbor will, well that maybe, but the if you kill him now he will not grow another inch. Personally I plant a food source everywhere I have an opening, I have recently started planing some areas in white oaks, I may never get to enjoy it but someone will. But every opening I have is planted in something. I have some plots that are summer only, I will leave the crops in them through the winter, standing sorgum makes a great bedding area.

Reasonably you can only affect 2 of the 3 factors that determine a bucks rack, those are age and nutrition. Let themlivemore than 3 years and give them more than enoughquality food. Also do not fall into the mind set of shooting cull bucks, unless you are hunting inside a fence there is no such thing as a cull buck. Penn State did a studdy several years ago in which theydeprived a yearling buck ofprotein, for 4 years it was spike.Its fifth rack was a 165" 12 point, it took that buck 4 years to overcome one hard summer.

As for stands I have no set limit as long as they are a safe distance from each other, your terrain will determine. Personally I add or move a few stands every year depending on what signs I find scouting.

Supplements are fine I know a lot of people that use them, I have tried them in the past, but I get a lot more bang for my buck from planting summer plots.

So plant a bunch of food, let them live to beold, scout every inch every year, set your stands accordingly, and find a good taxidermist. It has worked for me.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Mature bucks will expand their range to sometimes over 3000 acres during rut. I hunted a club once that had many pictures in the early seasonof a very unique mature 6 point. The deer was killed over 3 miles from the club once the rut kicked in in January. There was no doubt this was the same deer. I believe this is what gets a lot of bucks killed. Theydo not lose their senses as much as they are out of theirfamiliarareas.If you can providegood cover and plenty of feed for your does(and they feel safefeeding in daylight), you will pull bucks off your neighbors. If your are getting pictures of good bucks in the summer,hunt them hard in bowseason and early gun season when they are easier to pattern(and before they expand their range).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts