Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught in 100'. The snapper really seemed to like the big free lined baits the best. We were covered up with big bulls and the sharks got a lot more than we did.
Food Seafood Fish Road surface Fish products

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, we fished a small wreck and then some natural stuff. Caught fish on both.

Reactions: Lipz

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Born and raised in east central Florida and never caught one. One of my fishing buddies says muttons are outstanding eating, better than reds. It sounds like the muttons IQ is far above reds and maybe even mangroves. I'd rather catch and eat the mangos personally. They don't get as big but you can keep 10 in Fed waters, it's usually easier to pull 'em away from the sharks and they're more of a challenge than the reds.
How about you, what's your favorite snapper?

Reactions: Boat-Dude

Green Eggs And Ham
Born and raised in east central Florida and never caught one. One of my fishing buddies says muttons are outstanding eating, better than reds. It sounds like the muttons IQ is far above reds and maybe even mangroves. I'd rather catch and eat the mangos personally. They don't get as big but you can keep 10 in Fed waters, it's usually easier to pull 'em away from the sharks and they're more of a challenge than the reds.
How about you, what's your favorite snapper?
I have never tried Mutton but I hear it's good. I didn't know if you were east or west coast of FL. I like big mingos like 17+ inches. I fished the pier for a long time and I got use to pulling the mangroves out from under the pier, that is hard fishing, they are master thieves. The biggest Mangrove I got was this year 24" I have never ever caught one that big before, they are good eating as well. My fav fish is cobia and everyone thinks I am crazy but I really like them.

I envy those guys in tampa area they have tons of live pilchards down there. Bait isn't an issue.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like those oceanliners too. 24 inches is a whopper mango! I don't think you're crazy, I love cobia too and I sure miss those glory days. On the east coast growing up we mostly freshwater and inshore fished. There were lots of big bass and speckled perch in the lakes and rivers and tons of flounder and speckled trout, along with a good dose of redfish and snook in Mosquito Lagoon and up and down the coast. Snook may be my all time favorite fish even though I haven't caught one in many years.

Registered
Slobs right there. Good report!

Reactions: Catchemall

Registered
I have never tried Mutton but I hear it's good. I didn't know if you were east or west coast of FL. I like big mingos like 17+ inches. I fished the pier for a long time and I got use to pulling the mangroves out from under the pier, that is hard fishing, they are master thieves. The biggest Mangrove I got was this year 24" I have never ever caught one that big before, they are good eating as well. My fav fish is cobia and everyone thinks I am crazy but I really like them.

I envy those guys in tampa area they have tons of live pilchards down there. Bait isn't an issue.
I鈥檓 with you on the cobia there way better than a snapper any way you do them to me. But my taste nothing is better than a yellow edge or snowy.

Registered
snowy? now we're talking. in my opinion, the best groupa. well, maybe scamp?
jack
Well you got me there lol their just as good fresh! I still think deep water Groupers freeze better. I Can't say that for tile fish or long tail sea bass. Barrel fish do ok in the freezer. And are great fresh. Damn I want to go deep dropping! LOL. Ya'll Ever had Queen snapper? I have not found those yet. What are they comparable to?

Registered
Nice job, good size!!!! I have been struggling to catch them this year in my normal spots.
We have struggled more this year in our historically-good spots as well. Still managed a couple limits but also had some 'settle for half' days as well. We have caught a couple 18-20 inch mangroves this year but I have a hard time imagining a 24" mangrove!

Nice post, glad you guys got some good fish in the boat!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts