Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Kilroy, you're in Pond Creek aren't you ? That wide buck is in Allentown... Saw him or the one like him about a week and half ago crossing a road...

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
TGillman (9/15/2009)Kilroy, you're in Pond Creek aren't you ? That wide buck is in Allentown... Saw him or the one like him about a week and half ago crossing a road...
Yes, I am in Pond Creek, but if you saw one in Allentown it's one just like him. These are from Okaloosa Co. I am going to say he is knocking downclose to25" inside. On full alert his ear's would push atleast 16 to 17" and he's 4 1/2 to 5" out each side.

·
Registered
433 Posts
10-4... Saw one coming out of a peanut field the other day that looked to be pushing 20" easy... Couldn't really say about the body though...

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
imkilroy (9/15/2009)
TGillman (9/15/2009)Kilroy, you're in Pond Creek aren't you ? That wide buck is in Allentown... Saw him or the one like him about a week and half ago crossing a road...
Yes, I am in Pond Creek, but if you saw one in Allentown it's one just like him. These are from Okaloosa Co. I am going to say he is knocking downclose to25" inside. On full alert his ear's would push atleast 16 to 17" and he's 4 1/2 to 5" out each side.
Where at in okaloosa county are you and who is the owner of the property if you don't mind me asking. I know someone who has property up there and every year the kill deer off of it that go 130 and 140.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
TGillman (9/15/2009)10-4... Saw one coming out of a peanut field the other day that looked to be pushing 20" easy... Couldn't really say about the body though...
There are definitely some big one's in that area. I'm a sucker for a wide rack. They don't score as well as high rack's, but there is something about width that make's me go for the trigger!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Tim, if it's who I think it is he works in Maleic.

They had pictures like this last year. They just shoot real mature bucks (very selective). They have the land to do this, too!!

And yes it is in N.W. Florida

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
For what it is worth, I have met 'Kilroy' and Ken is good people...believe him or not - these ARE Florida deer. I too was doubted about where I had killed my 207.5lb deer back in Jan 06, when I was asked(on the way home at the store)...especially when I told people the answer...Blue Water Creek WMA. And anyone that hunted out there knows how it was! A bunch of trigger happy crazies running wild out there. But with minimal management the state did plus some patients - I got him. He was not the biggest rack by no means, but I have seen 20 and 21" inside come off that property in the last season or two before they broke it up into clubs. THERE ARE BIG BODIED AND BIG RACK DEER IN FL - IF YOU LET THEM LIVE THAT LONG!!!! That is the problem around here, the whole "if it's brown it's down" theory....never going to get to shoot a mature buck if they are gunned down by the time they are 2. And it is a proven fact, especially on WMA's that the average buck in NW FLis taken by age 2 - sad but true. Good management produces good deer.

Now then...Ken, If you strain or jamthat trigger finger - I will be there for ya sir....would be glad to pull the trigger on one of those hoss buck's for ya! lmao :shedevil

·
Registered
75 Posts
Post some of the pics from last year of all the deer you have on camera this year, i would like to see the improvements ( the wide deer mainly).

How many different feeder locations are there & what brand of protein pellets are you feeding.

By the way those are some fine looking bucks.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
How many different feeder locations are there & what brand of protein pellets are you feeding?

X 2. i'm interested in some details man. i can't believe how big those bucks are - bodies and racks. genetic freaks just about. i've heard you gotta ease 'em into the whole protein thing. start with a small ratio mixed in with corn. then increase little bit by little bit until they get used to it. some stuff i bought one time was about $15 for a 50 lbs bag.is that about right still?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
R. Long (9/15/2009)Post some of the pics from last year of all the deer you have on camera this year, i would like to see the improvements ( the wide deer mainly).

How many different feeder locations are there & what brand of protein pellets are you feeding.

By the way those are some fine looking bucks.
Last year's picture of the wide 8 and I believe the same 10 pnt. You can tell more growth on the 10 pnt. due to him being younger than the 8 pnt, and really starting to come on.One or two more year's and he will bea dandy! The 8 has really reached his limit. He had a kicker last year that made him a 9, but's it's gone this year.

This year's picture.

There are 66 feeder's on the property that hold roughly 600 lb's of feed each. I don't know what brand it is because it is delivered by truck and loaded into our silo's. That is right at 20 ton's every 3 week's.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
wow!!!! man those are some fine bucks! how long is the waiting list for that club now?? i remember my dad telling me that there used to be a crazy huge waiting list

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
ScullsMcNasty (9/15/2009)wow!!!! man those are some fine bucks! how long is the waiting list for that club now?? i remember my dad telling me that there used to be a crazy huge waiting list
That was for Pond Creek in Santa Rosa Co.that had the waiting list. I have been in Pond Creek for over 20 year's. These arein Okaloosa Co. I have seen deer like this in S.R. Co. just not in the quantity, and not on a large scale club.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Everyone (not litterally) said there was no real big deer around here after I posted those pics of couple of weeks ago that I took along side the road in Okaloosa county. I KNOW south TX, Ill., Mich.,etc have bull moose type deer roaming around everywhere. Those pics I had taken (Big un's in Fl. was the post) were all fine deer except for one basker rack 6 pt. But he was a big body deer. I saw those same deer yesterday evening in another peanut field about 300 yds. down the road. No pics though just by binocs. I watched them for about ten minutes. They weren't as nervous because they were about 250 yds off the road so they just watched me and ate. But we do have some real nice deer around here. But the "if its brown its down" people keep killing them we won't much longer. Thats why most all the big boys are primarily nocturnal. Good luck on those, I wish one or two would wonder onto our lease in Okaloosa county!!!!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
i wish you would have posted these pics before i gave my money for the contest. just kidding! But i would like to say in advance. CONGRATULATIONS ON WINNING THE PFF BUCK CONTEST 2 YEARS IN A ROW.

·
Super Moderator
19,476 Posts
CHUMM BUCKET (9/15/2009)i wish you would have posted these pics before i gave my money for the contest. just kidding! But i would like to say in advance. CONGRATULATIONS ON WINNING THE PFF BUCK CONTEST 2 YEARS IN A ROW.
After doing some research and re-zoning, I hate to inform you Ken but you lease is not in the area for the tournament, its complicated but your latitude and longitude times e=mc2 minus the square root of 127 is not in the zone.

just kiding, we have plenty of prizes this year, come win a bow to go along with the New Holland tractor.

:letsdrink

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Splittine (9/15/2009)
CHUMM BUCKET (9/15/2009)i wish you would have posted these pics before i gave my money for the contest. just kidding! But i would like to say in advance. CONGRATULATIONS ON WINNING THE PFF BUCK CONTEST 2 YEARS IN A ROW.
After doing some research and re-zoning, I hate to inform you Ken but you lease is not in the area for the tournament, its complicated but your latitude and longitude times e=mc2 minus the square root of 127 is not in the zone.

just kiding, we have plenty of prizes this year, come win a bow to go along with the New Holland tractor.

:letsdrink
LOL!! I have good new's for ya'll, most of these deer are off limit's. We may take a few 8 pnt's to get an age structure on them, but we are 10 pnt. outside the ear's, and to be honest I think only one of these pic's really qualify forthat. That happens to be the one I think need's another year or two(preferably two). That is the 10 with the super wide 8.

·
Registered
266 Posts
These pictures look familiar. The brother of a local contractor here in Pensacola showed me some like this last week. The feeders look the same and that wide monster.If so these are definitely Florida deer. He has a ton of great pics.

·
Registered
235 Posts
There are 66 feeder's on the property that hold roughly 600 lb's of feed each. I don't know what brand it is because it is delivered by truck and loaded into our silo's. That is right at 20 ton's every 3 week's.
By pouring this amount of quality feed to them, then it would definitely be possible to have these types of body weights and rack sizes.I don't believe that genetics playas big of a role down here as some people make out.High quality naturalnutrition and age are the two biggest factors we lack along the coastal plain.

There is a particular farm in the Pine Grove community just outside of Bay Minette that feeds the cattle high quality pellets year around. Each year there are a few well above average deer killed around it and there are always reports of some good ones crossing the roads in the area.A guy killeda 9 pt2 years ago that scored 134.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts