Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I headed out today to do a little fishing. As we were driving thru Gulf Breeze, I noticed the sign on a certain tackle store that read "live shrimp $1.99 a dz". I thought to myself, "Cool...think I will grab some shrimp just in case I want to fish for sheephead. I go in, ask the attendant for 2 dozen, as I wasn't gonna make a day of it, and I was fully expecting to catch some sand fleas when we got out to the beach. He got my shrimp, rang me up, and said "That will be $7.49."

I asked him, "Are the shrimp not $1.99 a dozen?"

"That's only if you buy 3 dozen or more" he replied.

So, here's my complaint. One, he could have told me that 3 dozen would be cheaper. A dollar cheaper, and a dozen more shrimp, and a satisfied customer. Two, there was not ONE thing in that store that said that the advertised price was only for 3 dozen or more.

I told the guy to go ahead and give me 3 dozen and my total dropped to 6 bucks and some change.

There was a post on here not long ago...something to the effect of "If I owned a tackle store, here's what I would do different..." Here is a perfect example of what not to do. Was he profiling me because I wasn't dragging a Cape Horn behind my truck? Or because I wasn't buying 10 dozen? Some of readers of the forum suggested that this goes on. I don't know.

All I know is this: In an attempt to make an extra $1.50, this guy lost a customer, and if I could have my way, many more for what I consider underhanded and crooked business practices.

Gosh it feels better to have that off my chest.

·
Banned
2,215 Posts
Sorry you had a bad experience ONE time, but where can you HONESTLY go and NOT have at least one bad experience in the past??

GB B&Thas been around for many, many years. I'm pretty sure they haven't made it this long by "screwing" people.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Actually, I was going to buy two dozen from that store and the guy pointed to a sign taped to the counter right in front of the shrimp tank that did say "1.99 3 doz or more".

Don't go bashing good stores that most of us on here support regularly for something so petty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, did I strike a nerve or what?

Here's the difference between you and I.

He pointed to the sign when you ordered two dozen.

He didn't do that for me. He rang me up. Seven bucks. If I didn't ask, I would have never known.

Bashing? I never named the store, in fact, I believe there are several in Gulf Breeze.

Let's use your line of thinking.

They have been in business for years. So has Mcdonalds. So if they advertise 2 cheeseburgers for $1 on the sign out front, you go in and order 2 and your total comes to $3, were you to let that go because they too, have been in business a long time and have made a bunch of people happy? (oh wait, it was written on the handmade sign taped to the corner that I never saw, and you had to have it SHOWN to you. Really, would it had been so hard to tell me before he rang it up? Really?

Truth is, I will continue to use them. Been using them for years. That's not the point. Point is, that was crappy today.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I understand what your saying OP.. I hate it when shit happens like that.. even if they do have a good reputation. I don't care if you were a tourist or a homeless guy walking off the streets.. I personally have had nothing but good experiences at that shop.. maybe give it another shot next time. He could of just not be thinking about it right then.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
mydj_jeff (4/15/2010)Wow, did I strike a nerve or what?

Here's the difference between you and I.

He pointed to the sign when you ordered two dozen.

He didn't do that for me. He rang me up. Seven bucks. If I didn't ask, I would have never known.

Bashing? I never named the store, in fact, I believe there are several in Gulf Breeze.

Let's use your line of thinking.

They have been in business for years. So has Mcdonalds. So if they advertise 2 cheeseburgers for $1 on the sign out front, you go in and order 2 and your total comes to $3, were you to let that go because they too, have been in business a long time and have made a bunch of people happy? (oh wait, it was written on the handmade sign taped to the corner that I never saw, and you had to have it SHOWN to you. Really, would it had been so hard to tell me before he rang it up? Really?

Truth is, I will continue to use them. Been using them for years. That's not the point. Point is, that was crappy today.

its not like to get the $1.99 price you had to buy 5 more dozen...you got a dozen more for a dollar less than the 2 you wanted..no harm no foul...we all make mistakes..i understand your frustration but put the water under the bridge and smile..you got to go fishing

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: black">Seems like a lot of complaining for about a buck. It?s not like you got screwed out of several hundred dollars. Granted the employee should have mentioned something but maybe he was distracted for a second or just wasn?t thinking and forgot until you mentioned it, I don?t know. But I really wouldn?t characterize this as ?<SPAN style="COLOR: black; mso-bidi-font-size: 8.0pt">underhanded and crooked business practices?. Maybe you just blew this a little out of proportion? Not worth getting all excited over.<SPAN style="COLOR: black"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
MGuns (4/15/2010)<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: black">Seems like a lot of complaining for about a buck. It?s not like you got screwed out of several hundred dollars. Granted the employee should have mentioned something but maybe he was distracted for a second or just wasn?t thinking and forgot until you mentioned it, I don?t know. But I really wouldn?t characterize this as ?<SPAN style="COLOR: black; mso-bidi-font-size: 8.0pt">underhanded and crooked business practices?. Maybe you just blew this a little out of proportion? Not worth getting all excited over.<SPAN style="COLOR: black"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

+1. People make mistakes. This doesn't seem blatant to me. Let it GO

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
mydj_jeff was simply bringing up a bad business practice and you guys bash him because you're regulars of the store and they don't try to pull fast ones on you, what a shame. The employee of this store should be talked to about this incident to make sure it doesn't happen again. If the owners of this store cared about their reputation they would change the policy or update the sign outside to say $1.99 a dozen when you buy 3 dozen minimum. Don't bash the guy because he brought up an obvious problem with the stores customer service in this situation.

It was obvious the attendant knew the shrimp were $1.99 if you bought 3 dozen yet the attendant rang him up for two without mentioning that 3 would cost him less. To someone who doesn't shop at this store it looks like a policy to lure people into the store with the $1.99 sign outside and then charge the higher price for 1 and 2 dozen purchases knowing non-regulars will be lured by the sign but won't realize the price change when they purchase less than 3 dozen, that's a bad business practice and it doesn't matter whether that store has a good reputation or not, it needs to be fixed and not swept under the rug.

Oh and MGuns your math is off, it wasn't about $1. At $1.99 a dozen he was expecting his 2 dozen to cost about $4 not $7 plus. It only became a dollar difference when he upped his order to 3 dozen but originally it was over a $3 difference in what the outside sign made him believe he should be paying for 2 dozen shrimp. It's sad when a store has a good reputation and nobody can post a complaint without getting attacked like mydj_jeff did something the wrong. The store attendant was wrong in this situation and I bet it's not the only time this has happened, just the first time it happened to a forum member and it was posted on the forum. It wouldn't keep me from shopping at that store but I would hope they would change their policy so not to deceive any customers in the future.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I agree with Viking. The employee should have simply said "We're having a special right now and 3 dozen is actually cheaper than 2 dozen." I mean, what kind of idiot would pay more for less ?

The employee was being less than helpful but I wouldn't stop shopping there because of it.

However, if I begin to see a pattern, my business would go elsewhere.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I agree with viking69 and the original poster. And it is the principal of the matter more sothan the money!It was intentional on the behalf of the clerk to not offer the specialand it was bad customer service! Any stand up guy behind the counter would have mentioned thedeal upon him ordering the two dozen.I mean comon guy...who would order only two for more $?I would have been upset too. Whoever is defending the actions of this clerk need to have their heads examined. However,the store itselfmay not be as much to blame, but they can train their employees a lil better. 'Twas unethical, imho.

·
Registered
684 Posts
MGuns (4/15/2010) <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: black">Seems like a lot of complaining for about a buck. It?s not like you got screwed out of several hundred dollars. Granted the employee should have mentioned something but maybe he was distracted for a second or just wasn?t thinking and forgot until you mentioned it, I don?t know. But I really wouldn?t characterize this as ?<SPAN style="COLOR: black; mso-bidi-font-size: 8.0pt">underhanded and crooked business practices?. Maybe you just blew this a little out of proportion? Not worth getting all excited over.<SPAN style="COLOR: black"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"> <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I've been in a certain bait and tackle there in GB an was treated rather like a second class citizen also. Stood at the counter to pay for a item the man behind the counter stoodshooting the bull with a buddy while I stood there like a tourist with all the time in the world. Not the first time I've been treated likeless than a customer in there because someone else seemed to be a priority. Seems like others must feel that way cause even some of the former employees opened thier own place must of eyed an oppertunity

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
Here I am going to put it into plain english for you. It shouldn't matter how long you have been in business you should be hungry. Because simple facts are it is a service business and if someone fails to give good service you will go elsewhere to get good service. There are no excuses that cover this up. The simple rule of business is to acknowledge everyone and tell them you will be right with them if you are tied up, and yes it was his responsibility to let the gentleman know it would be cheaper if he buys three dozen. It doesn't matter if he has a lit up billboard flashing when you pull into the parking lot, verbal is the proper way to conduct sound business practices. Remember service business, means you either give good service or someone else will. Not one soul needs to shop at any particular shop. I have no dog in this fight.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Are we really havingthis discussion? As stated earlier, I would understand if it was a substantial amount, but over couple BUCKS? Bottom line, the folks at GBB&T AND Hot Spots (both in GB) are both genuine and ethical. Maybe if you shopped at places other than WalMart, you'll realize the real benefit of these stores...quality over quantity.

Who in their right mind would bash a local business (on the internet, might I add) over a couple bucks? I understand your frustration, but how will this statement/thread benefit ANY of us?? Eat the dollar and move on.....

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
J.Sharit (4/15/2010)
MGuns (4/15/2010) <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: black">Seems like a lot of complaining for about a buck. It?s not like you got screwed out of several hundred dollars. Granted the employee should have mentioned something but maybe he was distracted for a second or just wasn?t thinking and forgot until you mentioned it, I don?t know. But I really wouldn?t characterize this as ?<SPAN style="COLOR: black; mso-bidi-font-size: 8.0pt">underhanded and crooked business practices?. Maybe you just blew this a little out of proportion? Not worth getting all excited over.<SPAN style="COLOR: black"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"> <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I've been in a certain bait and tackle there in GB an was treated rather like a second class citizen also. Stood at the counter to pay for a item the man behind the counter stoodshooting the bull with a buddy while I stood there like a tourist with all the time in the world. Not the first time I've been treated likeless than a customer in there because someone else seemed to be a priority. Seems like others must feel that way cause even some of the former employees opened thier own place must of eyed an oppertunity

You guys just need to learn how to be a good customer. When you walk in ask about bulk rates for VS reels or Internationals. Then when you have their attention ask about buying the shrimp. lol

1 - 20 of 44 Posts