Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out with shrimp this morning to replenish our whiting fish tacos supply. Only brought back one whiting, but landed 7 Redfish, a Pompano, a Black Drum, and a bunch of bluefish, ladies, and hardheads. Brought back 3 reds (AL limit). Storm drove me home at 8:30. I think these will sub nicely for a mess of whiting!

Attachments

·
Bearded Brotula
11,527 Posts
Nice! I'm out here right now and stopped fishing for a bit. Soon as it hits the water, 4-6 inch hardheads snatch it up. Not even fun to catch.

·
Wolfgang
257 Posts
I was tossing around a gold spoon past the break today and nothing seemed interested. I saw some nice reds even a few whiting. I should have brought shrimp. Good mess of fish there!

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
That one on the right is a ground mullet not a black drum. Looks to me, I could be wrong.

Still a good mess of fish. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That one on the right is a ground mullet not a black drum. Looks to me, I could be wrong.

Still a good mess of fish.
There are many names for many fish, but most folks around here call the fish on the right a juvenile Black Drum (they lose their black bands at around 8 lbs. or so. ). What most folks call ground mullet Lois much like a whiting, although they do have very light bands.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Went out with shrimp this morning to replenish our whiting fish tacos supply. Only brought back one whiting, but landed 7 Redfish, a Pompano, a Black Drum, and a bunch of bluefish, ladies, and hardheads. Brought back 3 reds (AL limit). Storm drove me home at 8:30. I think these will sub nicely for a mess of whiting!
since u are tuned into surf fishing may i ask a question. i see guys using fish bites in surf because they stay on better, will reds, drum, etc hit those or should i just stick with shrimp and deal with it

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
since u are tuned into surf fishing may i ask a question. i see guys using fish bites in surf because they stay on better, will reds, drum, etc hit those or should i just stick with shrimp and deal with it
Some folks use them exclusively. I am less of a fan, but do use them when crabs are bad and during the Spring Pompano run. Pompano seem to like them. I usually put a shrimp or piece of shrimp on top of the fish bite. I have never caught a red, Flounder, or Trout off of them. Only whiting and Pompano. Others might differ, I am still learning.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Some folks use them exclusively. I am less of a fan, but do use them when crabs are bad and during the Spring Pompano run. Pompano seem to like them. I usually put a shrimp or piece of shrimp on top of the fish bite. I have never caught a red, Flounder, or Trout off of them. Only whiting and Pompano. Others might differ, I am still learning.
yeah im strictly live shrimp inshore when available but i can imagine them constantly falling off in surf, supposed to be flat tomorow though, one of the few days i will fish from beach. guess ill get both lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've caught a few bull reds on shrimp fishbites last spring when I just stared using fish bites. I've also caught whiting on it as well.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've used the crab flavor in the sound from the bank when fishing with my son and caught some reds. Saves some time and energy that would have been spent catching bait and they stand up to the pinfish pretty well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts