Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would anyone like to guess the weight & the age of this deer? Its actually his second buck, but I couldn't do the blood thing 2 yrs ago, he was fine with it this time. He also has a reminder between his eyes everytime he looks in a mirror ( small bruise). He said that 50 cal. kicks more than my .223, yea, man, that's the good stuff.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Congratulations...:clap:clap:clap

I've see grown men get eye ringed by a scope, 9yo not surprising with a 50cal. Nice kill.

·
Super Moderator
28,521 Posts
Ohhhhhweeeeee can't imagine my 9 year old shooting my 50 cal. My pro-hunter don't kick that bad but there is no way he could shoulder it....Congrats to him though!!!:clap

4,058 Posts
who is to say that is a cull buck? if it is a young deer, and hasnt been getting the ideal nutrition, then that would explain the small rack. ask caspr21 about the age on this deer, as he has more authority than most on this topic.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Casper21, what do you think? I used the body ( length& weight)& the whites around the eyes-nose to do the live judgement, after the harvest we use the Jaw bone this one was 3 1/2-4 1/2 yrs, weight 150 lb., the Biologist will use the jaw bone & give report at the end of the season.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
questions to ask here, where was the deer killed???? genetics plays a huge part. Did you weigh the deer?? and were you present at time of kill???? If the deer is past really 2 1/2 yrs with that rack, he either has poor genetics or like woody stated, poor nutrition. How do you judge what he has??? You look at your other heard bucks, do you have a lot of main frame 8's with moderate spreads? or 10's or do you have a lot of screwed up horned deer?? On our property, we do shoot cull deer, but they are deer that members see more than once, because getting caught up in the moment of shooting a deer, emotion can over come good thought sometime. But and we try to shoot the cull deer if he is over 150 lbs because on our club, that is the average weight for a 3 1/2 yr old buck, and we pump the nutrition to them all year long. So, if he is 3 1/2 with screwed up horns = dead. None the less, it is AWESOME that your son killed the deer at 9 yrs old. I send congrats to him! Applying an age to the deer is tough because in my opinion, there are a lot of factors that contribute than just the jaw bone. For instance in tooth wear, if you are hunting in a more sandy enviroment, the deer will have more wear on the teeth ect. I hope this helps, and if you give me the info then maybe we can get close.

wes

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NWF/ALA Line, yes weighed,Present (child w/ gun), several poor bucks on property, Planted Rye, Wheat & Oats only this year, Have some typical 6 & 8's on pics 12 - 14 in. Seeing 8 -15 does per sit, saw these the last 2 yrs, hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Then I think that was a good decision made on taking that buck. He probably was in the 3.5 to maybe older range. Most people don't understand the purpose behind the cull buck, or why cull him out of the heard. You do this because a older buck like that will actually breed more does than your pretty 6's or 8's because those bucks won't fight him. He will actually run them off because he will hurt the full rack bucks due to the fact he has nothing to lock up with. It is like fighting with to knives on your head. If you are trying to get a better population with your bucks, probably should kill as many as you can and let the better looking bucks go. But that in itself is a whole next chapter. Well Congrats again to your son! Memories like that last a life time!

wes

4,058 Posts
congrats to your son.

for future reference, dont plant rye. that stuff has hardly any nutrition value. it's like ahot chick on a billboard-looks pretty, but offers nothing. PM me for more food plot info, as we have a pretty good system for both winter AND spring plots.

My absolute favorite thing to plan in my winter plots (in adddition to my special blend that goes on all the fields) is a few rows of turnips. they are kinda expensive, i think we pay like $15 for 3 pounds or something like that, but i hand spread them in a few rows down the middle of each of my plots, and they come up VERY thick and bushy, as the leaf of that plant is very broad and offers a whole lot of good stuff for the deer. it is also very palatable as well.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Woody, it is funny that you say that you like to plant turnips, we have one food plot that is completley divoted to turnips and rape seed, hence called the turnip patch. We saturate it with the seed, and have a lot that grow naturally now, then mix in the wheat, and Iron clay peas. As much of a pain in the ass as it is, the real boast is the spring and summer mixes. Soy Beans, and Peas are probably the best thing to get in the ground. But, you must plant tonage because the deer will destroy them if you just plant a little

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
good dear, especially with a muzzleloader. there is nothing better to me than waiting for the smoke to clear. my most favorite thing to plant is clover. its very nutritous and also in the spring it is one of the firs tto green for the deer. these nutritional values in the clover is highly demanded by deer. but about the turnips, i planted turnips and brocolli in the garden for about teo years tring to get some greens. let me tell you, bad decision. deer would not allow that. oh well congrats again!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Very nice, congrats. I had an older buck with 18-20" spikes come out one day and I looked that rascal over forever and a day. I came to the conclusion he was older than crap. Not being sure I asked my step dad (deer hunting guru) about it, and sure enough he said next time I see it, drop it in its tracks. Either that buck was older than dirt and unable to support a good rack or he was in the shallow end of the Gene Pool. Now when I hunt, I look them over a lot more carefully than I used to. Hopefully, when I come across another, I will take them down in favor of conservation when necessary.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts