Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of our motors has given us headaches. it will start and idle yet dies whenever put in gear. a few times we were able to jam it in gear fast and it ran, although would only turn about 4800rpms while the other ran 5200. we changed the diaphrams in the fuel pump and no change. any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we did drain all the carbs and nothing but gas came out. i agree with the idea of clogged jets/dirty carb, but is there anyway to quick fix till spring?

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
How about water/Fuel seperater???? Do you have those if so Seperate from each engine.. if you checked it make sure the seal is on right, I did that once..

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
dabull (10/23/2007)we did drain all the carbs and nothing but gas came out. i agree with the idea of clogged jets/dirty carb, but is there anyway to quick fix till spring?
If the jets are clogged, the carbs need to come off, cleaned, installed,and adjusted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
since the problem started, ive had time to replace the filters and all fuel lines, install a new sending unit, and drain the tank. (no water or trash in tank, just took advantage of the opportunity) but the problem still exist.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
while running the engine, bump the choke and see if the engine picks up a little then bog. then use the manual choke at the engine and slowly activate it to partially close until you have results. if it does pick up some,pull the carbs off and clean them...everywhere. if there is trash behind the needle and seat, you won't get it out by a "QUICK FIX". this way you won't run the risk of blowing up your engine from a lean condition.also check for a loose hose connection or aftermarket primer bulb..... does the bulb go flat? you need to determine what the cause is. as someone else noted, a compression check is the first place to start. after that do what i suggested to narrow it down to fuel or not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it looks like i'm going to have to do the work myself when i get home for thanksgiving. can anyone suggest the best service manual to assist me in getting the carbs adjusted correctly?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts