Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
Awesome day out! Bet the little one was in fishy heaven.

Side question regarding the Eel. You obviously cant keep those. But why gaff it and damage it? I am in no way a fish hippie, i just was taught that stick and release was sort of bad practice. I also know they have a serious bite! So just asking out of ignorance. No disrespect brother.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
matt,
you actually can eat the eels. they have a pure white meat and baked is excellent. same as for scorpion fish. just don't get stung while cleaning or in this case bit when you catch one. try it:thumbup:
i never heard of trumpet fish until a couple years back and it is tasty, too.

jack

Reactions: CPD67

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trust me when I say that the big sharp circle hook in the corner of the eel’s mouth was worse than the small hand gaff with no barb .... I had to use a hand gaff just to remove the Hook so I could release it back to the sea and it swam right back to the bottom like he had not a care in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
matt,
you actually can eat the eels. they have a pure white meat and baked is excellent. same as for scorpion fish. just don't get stung while cleaning or in this case bit when you catch one. try it

i never heard of trumpet fish until a couple years back and it is tasty, too.

jack
I guess it was the southern eels you dont want to eat because of parrot fish? I've never been lucky enough to catch one, but I'll be open to earing it if I ever do. Thanks Jack! Hope you've been doing well brother.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I guess it was the southern eels you dont want to eat because of parrot fish? I've never been lucky enough to catch one, but I'll be open to earing it if I ever do. Thanks Jack! Hope you've been doing well brother.
same to ya, man. let's go fishing.:thumbup:

jack

·
Registered
817 Posts
Looks like fun, I was out there too caught a ton of big red snapper. I hate those eels though, I got but once by a small one and it hurt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts