Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Green Eggs And Ham
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we finally got time and some good weather, so we headed out to give it a try. North wind all morning, was a good ride out. Headed over to the Mass to get bait and the little LY's are showing up now, another 2 to 3 weeks and they will be perfect size. One throw and we loaded up and headed straight out. The Jelly fish were not bad and are thinning out some. The farther we headed out we were seeing patches of grass and flying fish everywhere, past 15 miles the water really cleared up almost bluish. Got to the first spot and my better half sets us up with 30# fluro and #2 circle for the little LY's and right off the bat she brings in some good Almacos, till flipper showed up. That got aggravating after loosing 3 fish so we moved on to the next spot. Then the Mangroves showed up with more Almacos and a few nice Mingos. Then the wind stopped, got slick and hot, we got some dinners and we were ready for the breeze on the way home. My eagle eye wife spotted a log on the way back so we stopped to have a look, WOW, triple tail, baby almacos, chicken dolphin!!!! The triple tails were all small and the almacos as well so I grabbed a few chickens for my neighbor they love them, I am not a fan. I caught my first triple tail but to small to keep. Back home we go I snapped a pic of the CG doing some training my guess in the bay on the way back.

All in all it was a good day out. Tired and burnt. Yes the biting black flies are out there so take some repellent.

Water Clarity = Dirty in the Bay, greenish at the Mass, offshore clean green/bluish water.
Bait = Small LY's, at the Mass.
Water Depth = 90 to 110
Offshore current = Low to almost zero.
Area = Fed Waters.
Water Temp = 85°F
Moon = Sliver Moon.

Sleeve Rectangle Circle Font Electric blue
Water Sky Boat Azure Naval architecture
Water Liquid Azure Fluid Lake
Water Liquid Bird Fluid Lake
Fish Fin Seafood Ray-finned fish Fish products
Water Sky Fluid Watercraft Vehicle

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Well we finally got time and some good weather, so we headed out to give it a try. North wind all morning, was a good ride out. Headed over to the Mass to get bait and the little LY's are showing up now, another 2 to 3 weeks and they will be perfect size. One throw and we loaded up and headed straight out. The Jelly fish were not bad and are thinning out some. The farther we headed out we were seeing patches of grass and flying fish everywhere, past 15 miles the water really cleared up almost bluish. Got to the first spot and my better half sets us up with 30# fluro and #2 circle for the little LY's and right off the bat she brings in some good Almacos, till flipper showed up. That got aggravating after loosing 3 fish so we moved on to the next spot. Then the Mangroves showed up with more Almacos and a few nice Mingos. Then the wind stopped, got slick and hot, we got some dinners and we were ready for the breeze on the way home. My eagle eye wife spotted a log on the way back so we stopped to have a look, WOW, triple tail, baby almacos, chicken dolphin!!!! The triple tails were all small and the almacos as well so I grabbed a few chickens for my neighbor they love them, I am not a fan. I caught my first triple tail but to small to keep. Back home we go I snapped a pic of the CG doing some training my guess in the bay on the way back.

All in all it was a good day out. Tired and burnt. Yes the biting black flies are out there so take some repellent.

Water Clarity = Dirty in the Bay, greenish at the Mass, offshore clean green/bluish water.
Bait = Small LY's, at the Mass.
Water Depth = 90 to 110
Offshore current = Low to almost zero.
Area = Fed Waters.
Water Temp = 85°F
Moon = Sliver Moon.

View attachment 1095632 View attachment 1095633 View attachment 1095634 View attachment 1095635 View attachment 1095636 View attachment 1095637
Awesome report as always and beautiful/bountiful spread there! And what Mr. Jim alluded to. Watch that machine. You never know what's down deep under floating stuff. whoo's and black fin sometime will be under stuff deep.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Nice catch! A great looking livewell usually means a great looking fish box. Not a mahi fan either, much rather have the mingos, mangos and almacos and I like the dog flies a lot less than the mahis.

·
VIP of the PFF
9,300 Posts
Way to go Dude ! Glad to see that you got to go fishing and caught'em too ! Thanks for sharing your report with us. I haven't been seeing any of your post for a while and was starting to think that I might need to go look at your last post and see if I needed to go have a slapping contest with anybody that might have pissed you off ! Lol !

·
Registered
403 Posts
I remember when my wife got a big bull dolphin (on the skiff) and we were stoked to get it home filet it for dinner and we both looked at each other while eating it and went meh.
Never heard anyone that didn’t care for fresh Mahi. Not to confuse it with smaller chicken dolphin which are pretty mushy and a big ole blood line. How Did you prepare it 🤔

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
We did pan fry with butter and everglades seasoning. It was ok but I like the Mangroves better.
I agree I like mangrove and then mingo/lane; still love me some triggerfish, though!

Great report and looks like a great day! Thanks for the post and the inspiration, I am hoping to get back out there soon. Life keeps getting in the way.

Reactions: Boat-Dude
1 - 20 of 21 Posts