Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a late start after completing a couple honey-dos. After SniperPeeps sail I was determined to get one. Plan was to ballon some livies while I bottom fish at the spot SP got his Sunday.

I get all unloaded and realize I forgot my sabikis. Luckily SP was on his way to the beach so he saved the day and grabbed me one at the pier. :notworthy:

It started off really glassy with some slow easy swells. By the time I got to my spot the wind was blowing a good clip out the SSW which I wasnt expecting at all.

Well I had a big live turbo cig under the ballon for three hours with out a bite. :blink: No king, spanish, bobo, nothing.

While bottom fishing I found all the thirteen and a half inch triggers one could want. Only two ended up making the grade to come home for dinner. The snapper bite was dead, caught a few really small snapper which is odd because on this spot I rarely catch any less then eighteen inches or so. I was pulling up twelve inchers, even got a baby about the size of a big pinfish.

I dropped down a baby jack looking for a grouper. It gets to the bottom and then my line goes slack. I thought maybe a king grabbed my weight or something. Im reeling and reeling in slack but it turns out a cobia about thirty inches managed to suck down the jack and swam to the surface.

I tried another spot in fifty five feet of water that I had caught a few triggers before. The storm must have blown it away because I could only find one mark out of five that I had. I did catch a couple triggers but again they were too small. Picked up a small king on a small circle hook and a piece of squid while looking for triggers. Also got a spanish on the way in.

I fished hard with out much to show for it and Im beat from fighting the wind but at least I got a couple fish for dinner.

·
Registered
977 Posts
What time did you get out? I launched about 8 and Trolled for a while and missed a few good hits. Boated one king and a spanish in the end. I want to start bottom fishing out there but really don't know where to start. My bottom machine is really hard to understand. Any suggestions on a good ff? Is it worth it to get a ff/gps combo or do you just watch your location on a phone?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tomorrow will be a better day, at least you got some good dinner tonight!
You get my text?

What time did you get out? I launched about 8 and Trolled for a while and missed a few good hits. Boated one king and a spanish in the end. I want to start bottom fishing out there but really don't know where to start. My bottom machine is really hard to understand. Any suggestions on a good ff? Is it worth it to get a ff/gps combo or do you just watch your location on a phone?
I put it in around ten thirty or so. I put in a bit west from the pier, I saw a few guys heading my way on my way out but they turned around.

I like my Lowrance Elite 4. A FF/GPS is much easier to use then a FF and a hand held device. It allows you look at look one screen instead of two.

Get a good bottom machine and put in time is all I can say. Spots are few and far between out there but you will be rewarded when you find them.

·
Lucky S.O.B
658 Posts
If you have the money get a combo with GPS. Trying to use your phone to stay on position in a heavy current or wind would be "less than ideal". I use the Humminbird 385 combo and it does everything I need. Their customer service has been outstanding and every time I see my buddies having issues with their Lowrance it reinforces my decision to purchase that unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts