Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
OSOK
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jason (JD7.62) hit me up last night to see if I wanted to go fishing with him this morning. Decided to go and so glad I did. After sorting out some electrical issues with Jason's bottom machine, we were off. Caught a few live baits and headed South. Got to the spot and the action was immediate. Jason started catching trigger fish two at a time and I pulled up a big snapper, est about 20lbs. Got broken off and continued getting a steady bottom bite. We were joined by 3 other yakers a little while later and continued catching fish here and there. I can't remember their screen names right now, my adrenaline is still pretty jacked up. I had been dropping a palm sized hard tail to the bottom for a several drops and had not had a hit so I decided to re rig and put him out on the surface. I drifted away from the group a little and sent him out about 30 yards. About a minute later my drag clicks for a couple seconds so I put the reel in gear and come tight. All of the sudden I hear a massive splash behind me, like someone had just done a cannon ball back there. I turn around to see my sail tailwalking all over the place. The whole time I am thinking she is going to throw the hook but luckily that circle hook found a nice solid spot to sink into. Well I now realize that I am about to get spooled so I start pedaling like crazy to keep up with her and luckily for me, the penn 320gt that I found at a yardsale sometime last year with the original line still on it held up. After what I am estimating to be about 25-30 minutes I finally got her yakside but there was no way I could get my hand on her bill so Ginzu (I remember his screenname now) came over and made a great grab and got her. Quick couple photos and I released her swimming strong. Thanks to all of the guys out there for the help, especially Ginzu and JD7.62 I owe both of you guys some beer. Jason thanks for letting me use your kayak, hell of a trip for my second time out! Been trying to catch one of these all year, never would have dreamed it would have been from a kayak. Guess I need to buy me a Hobie now! Can't wait to see the videos and pictures, they said they would post them later. I left them fishing and took it to the house.:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I know you did Just have to much going on with the cross country move approaching .
Ima tell my wife so she feels guilty lol

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Wow! Oxbeast, c'mon now I know u had a better time fishing black water with me. I'm mean with the few dink trout, lady fish, catfish and a missed flounder, it was epic to say the least.

Congrats on a great fishing trip. Jason u need to show me and ox the ropes. I'll brink beer. Lol

1 - 20 of 75 Posts