Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went out east of the Pier Sunday morning with Steve and his buddy. There was a bunch of us yakkers out there ready to fish the first nice day after the storm. Had trouble catching bait . Couldn't catch any cigs but caught a few hard tails and some menhaden .
On the way out I witnessed romanfishrman dump his yak and lose his rod. What a bummer!
So I headed out a few miles to a honey hole and anchored off due to the strong current.at first all I caught was Sharks and more sharks. Caught 5 and hooked a big one but he was cut off.
As I was catching one, I detached my anchor line to fight one. I thought my float for my anchor line would have stayed on top but NO . The current was so strong it brought my float down under and couldn't find it. Looked for awhile and then all of a sudden Steve hooked it. Right on Steve. I'm glad he hooked it cause that was the second one I would have lost this summer.
Then a friend of a friend pulled up on his yak with another guy and was slaying the Snapper . I was like WTF! He showed me what he was using and let me have one of his jigs. Then it was on I caught 3 nice snapper and another Lemon shark , which I should have kept. I met another yakker that took the pictures of my shark I should have kept. His name was Mark "needtofish".
On the way back I caught a couple of spanish . And wow that current sure kicked my butt. It was tough paddling back. well anyways heres a couple of pics.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,111 Posts
Nice....water looks purty good! don't look rough like they said!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Was out there also, the current was a mother coming back in.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm assuming this was last weekend not the 11th.

·
Squid technician
10,487 Posts
Nice report. Doesn't look too bad out there.

Just in case your interested, thats a Blacknose Shark (Carcharhinus acronotus) not a Lemon Shark

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
For future ref: both dorsal fins on a lemon shark are nearly the same size. Not a clue about green spots, I'd love to see a close-up pic if you got one!

I agree with Chris, that's definitely a juvi blacktip. Cool catch, those are loads of fun! You're a braver man than I, I never bring a shark in the kayak anymore after the time I made that mistake and it turned really not-fun really quick!

Nice job! Keep it up!
Alex

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Oh almost forgot to add, Lemon sharks are prohibited from harvest! Blacktip on the other hand is one of the few species that doesn't have a minimum size limit. Perfectly legal to keep and very tasty!

Alex

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
im sure hes got a vest within reach in case something happens...BUT the leg/foot in between his leg is what got me the most....lol....I know I know the strong current, the wind....lol bla bla...easy now.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah! Vest is in arms reach. Yeah i was like wth when that dude put his foot over there. Hes lucky he wasnt shark bait. Lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts