Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
******SOLD******

I bought this Speed Aire compressor but it is actually larger then I need and instead of paying to make it function, I'm going to buy a new smaller version. I was told it was functioning when it was raided for parts. 80 gal, 3 stage. Not sure on HP, probably 5-7? Has an extra compressor pump also. Still attached to pallet and will load on a truck or trailer for you. $250 OBO

20190805_081509.jpg

20190805_081458.jpg

20190805_081449.jpg

20190805_081523.jpg

20190805_081546.jpg

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Note it is a 3phase motor. Will not run on normal household current.

·
Super Moderator
28,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Note it is a 3phase motor. Will not run on normal household current.

Yeah I just had a power pole put in fer my pole barns and shed, was gonna have it wired fer it but figure I'd go a little smaller to make it easier...This is a compressor big enough fer a big ole garage or workshop!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
FWIW - it will be extremely difficult for anyone to put this at their residence due to it being a 3 phase motor.

This would be good for someone's shop or garage that's wired for commercial electric service.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
You can run a 3 phase motor on 220 single phase but you will loose 1/3 the motors power. Best for an air compressor is to get a single phase motor. I ran a 3 phase lathe on 220 for 10 years then I got a single phase motor, much smoother.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,971 Posts
We had a setup similar to this in the motorcycle shop running the mill.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I have a compressor that big at my shop. 80gal 2 stage. 1 phase.
just changed the oil in it again. [every 100hrs] Yes I installed a hour meter on it.
400hous now. In service since '04.....It replaced a 60gal single stage.

That compressor and a singe phase motor is the way to go. You should keep it and put a motor on it. Perhaps you can work a deal with a electric motor shop.....The 3ph + some coin to take the sting out of the cost. A New single ph motor is about $500.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
What have I started, just use a single phase motor of the same HP as the 3 phase. A compressor takes to much start power to use a 3 phase on single phase power.

Reactions: 60hertz

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
We had a setup similar to this in the motorcycle shop running the mill.

https://youtu.be/e6eKDsDpup8
I built a similar set-up to run my brother's 3-phase commercial meat grinder so that we could process our own deer, elk, etc. The only difference is that instead of the small drive motor I used a static 3-phase motor starter.

In deference to 60Hertz's comment, I would not want to use it as a constant power source though. It only made sense in this case because 1.) we already had the grinder and 2.) I was able to get a 5 HP 3-phase motor for free to use as the rotary inverter.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,073 Posts
Why not wire a variable frequency drive and run it single phase, simple and problem solved.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I did what curdog said for my commersial 220 3phase
bought a variable frequency inverter run 220 single phase to 220 3phase
Presto Chango it works!

·
Registered
885 Posts
lots of options nowadays..

my lathe came with a commercially made rotary phase converter .. a 15hp idler motor and control box with a starter for the idler and various capacitors used to balance the phases to the 7.5 hp lathe motor..

i am currently using it to power the lathe , my mill which is 3hp and bandsaw 2hp.. tho not all at once tho it would most likely work ok...

i purchased a 1/2 hp vfd to power a boyar shulz surface grinder i restored..and at some point will get a vfd for the bandsaw and one for the mill..

currently the prices for vfds have dropped dramatically and allow you to get the best of both worlds wiring up old equipment.. you do have to be wary .. higher hp units are generally 3 phase input.. tho they can run on single phase but somewhat like rotary phase converters you would need to approx double the size, i.e. for a 5hp motor you would want a 10 hp idler or a 10hp 3phse input vfd wired up for single phase..

There are single phase input vfds out there tho they generally cost more than the 3 phase input units..

for your compressor it appears that it has a 5 hp motor and single phase input vfds are out there for 250 or so... note that generally you would need some sort of enclosure and muffin fan for cooling etc....
you can most likely find a china made unit for less than 150.. and it might work fine...

rich

·
Super Moderator
28,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bump fer lowered price:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts