Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately a few people have asked about can calls and grunt calls. I whole heartedly have believed in them for years. Last week I used a Primos can and True Talker grunt and brought in 2 small bucks that I ultimately let walk due to our clubs rules. It still was fun to watch the interaction. I have been hunting a particular 8 point since I missed him during bow season at 35 yards. Every day I was in my stand he wasn't anywhere near. I think he knew my travel pattern so I changed that several times but nothing worked. I still had pictures of him every day when I didn't hunt. Well this morning I went with hopes that maybe the rut is starting and he might get stupid. After seeing several does early on. I decided to start calling. I flipped the can call one time followed by about 6-8 low buzzing grunts. I then waited about 5 minutes and hit about 6-8 more grunts and then a soft bleat. Immediately I see a button buck headed my way out of the thicket. When he closed in to about 25 yds, I hear a deep grunt and look up to see the 8 point I've been hunting, headed my way. He had his head low and was grunting every step of the way. It looked like he was on a string being pulled to me. He was focused on the button buck so I shouldered my rifle. As I did he saw me and looked my direction, I could only see his head and neck due to trees. I took the 25 yd shot and he dropped right there. He lay there motionless for several minutes. I was ecstatic. I began to send a text to my buddy and I look over and the deer is trying to run off. SHIT!!!!!!! I was able to put two more shots in him. What a beautiful day in the woods and great way to end this 3 month saga.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Nice buck and good story. :notworthy:

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,980 Posts
Very nice! Good job on the quick follow up shots, I lost a biggun about 10 years ago that I thought was down for the count, layed in the ground for a minute and jumped up and ran off then jumped into the Alabama river, I was sick, but learned a lesson.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've been a believer in grunt calls for years too. I have a can but don't use it much and haven't done much with scent bombs, at least not enough to tell. Most of my hunting is from a stand but I have had deer nearly run me over when sitting on the ground grunting. That will make you a believer quick. I've tried a few different types but the one that brings them in the best for me is a cheap $5 Ben Lee grunt call.

·
lees way2
1,371 Posts
Good job Mike.I hope mine comes this weekend, we have been close for a while. All you have to do is ride it out and they will make the wrong move.

·
Super Moderator
28,635 Posts
Way to seal the deal Mike!!! Looks like a big swollen neck!!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Glad you got him, woulda been a BAD day if not, twice!!!
:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts