Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv spent the past 8 years in the Navy as a ABE iv made 2nd class and am up for 1st next cycle. Anyone looking to hire an ABE 2nd class, I have quality insurance qualifications and very mechanically inclined. I have done 3 deployments in Operation New Dawn and Operation Iraqi Freedom. If I can run a crew of 25, be in charge of 2 catapults onboard USS John C. STENNIS CVN 74 as a work center supervisor Im sure pensacola has something for me, iv really grown to love this place and if the rite offer comes along I would gladly retire from the Navy and live a normal life again. Open to any and all suggestions or offers if u guys can help that would be awesome.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aviation Boatswain's Mate (Equipment)
Aircraft Launching Catapult operator and technician

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Are you retiring after 20? (a little confused you mention retirement in your post, but then 8 yrs and up for PO1) if not, DO NOT GET OUT! do the rest of your time and retire, Pensacola isn't going anywhere...... You asked. Oh, Sorry, I don't have a job for you. Good luck in this decision. Its a BIG one.....

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Are you retiring after 20? (a little confused you mention retirement in your post, but then 8 yrs and up for PO1) if not, DO NOT GET OUT! do the rest of your time and retire, Pensacola isn't going anywhere...... You asked. Oh, Sorry, I don't have a job for you. Good luck in this decision. Its a BIG one.....
Rogr that, its huge I know my biggest conflict is being with my kid or being next to my shipmates while providing for my kid would be nice to have the best of both worlds.

Iv done 8 yrs currently retire as in get out now is what I meant

·
Registered
252 Posts
Iv spent the past 8 years in the Navy as a ABE iv made 2nd class and am up for 1st next cycle. Anyone looking to hire an ABE 2nd class, I have quality insurance qualifications and very mechanically inclined. I have done 3 deployments in Operation New Dawn and Operation Iraqi Freedom. If I can run a crew of 25, be in charge of 2 catapults onboard USS John C. STENNIS CVN 74 as a work center supervisor Im sure pensacola has something for me, iv really grown to love this place and if the rite offer comes along I would gladly retire from the Navy and live a normal life again. Open to any and all suggestions or offers if u guys can help that would be awesome.
Thank you for your service and best of luck

·
Registered
173 Posts
Stick it out and do a full 20 years. You'll look back and realize it was the best decision you ever made, trust me that's what I did and I have no regrets. I retired in '03 and believe me time will fly by before you know it. Best of luck.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
I'll third the stay the hell in for 20. If not for you but the family. Medical is the best there is in the military. and the cheapest. When you get 65 it is all completely free for you and your wife. Never heard of one retiree that said they wish the would have gotten out. But everyone that got out says they were sorry to get out. I did 20 and never looked back except to wish i was still in. Let us know what you decide on.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Retired some time ago after doing 30 years as Sr Chief, unless you really have something going for you I would recommend you stay in .

Obviously you have a reason for even considering getting out can we ask what it is?? Advancement opportunity, deployments, Pay scale,

I am wondering, you ask the members here for advice or inputs so to speak ,Did you ask Your Chief for his/her inputs, you are on the threshold of moving upward both in rank and leader ship position, I would really take sometime and reflect on what you already have and would be giving up for the other side of the road,be honest with your self.

My Thoughts are that, your considering giving up much more than you will gain out side the gate at this time.

Your call I wish you well

·
Super Moderator
7,119 Posts
I retire in 5 months with 22years of service. My planning started 4 years ago. Like Jim and Ron said, stick it out and get that mailbox money. You very well may luck into something but with 8 months to go, that is a huge risk with not much to fall back on (not knowing your total situation of course). Best of lluck in whichever path you decide.

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
If you had asked this question 4 months ago, I would have recommended that you try it in the oil patch on supply boats. It is a 3 week on and 3 week off or 4 and 4 but pretty good pay. Problem now is that the oil patch is probably about to go through another one of it's down cycles and you may not want to be away from home for 3 or 4 weeks at a time. I'm not saying there is not still going to be opportunities over there for good people. The best companies are always looking for good people.

I'm assuming that with all the cut backs, they are kinda trying to squeeze you out. I've seen a lot of this, lately, from guys in the Air Force around Eglin and I assume it is the same in the Navy/Marine Corp.

I understand your dilemma. When, or if you re-up you may get transferred. I don't know how you got to Pensacola as a 'jet shooter' but knowing the reasoning of such military wisdom has often eluded me.

I'm sure that Airbus in Mobile is going to be doing a lot of hiring soon. I'm sure they favor those who are residents of Alabama but you would think your military service would have weight. Quite a commute but people do it everyday.

As good of a fisherman as you are and as much as you love it, you could start your own guide business but you may starve in the Winter. There is a lot of competition out there but guys that pay attention to the business aspects and the customers make it.

The good news is, you are young and in good health and the world is open to you. If I weren't retired, I would hire somebody like you in a heartbeat.

·
twiceRetired Serve No One
4,331 Posts
I commend you for looking ahead in your life and looking for a new career this early.
everyone who has retired from the military will tell you to stick it out and retire.
everyone forced out will have a different story so only you can decide what is best for you.
many men are being forced out with 15+ years of Honorable service and others are leaving for different reasons under this new administration with so many changes I could no longer serve under.
I loved the Marine Corps and it was my entire family but combat injuries caught up to me when I could no longer pass the PFT and I was out= just like that and didn't see it coming. wish I could have and started looking for a new career in advance like you are doing. sucked to be a US Marine SSgt one day and just another homeless person back living on the streets the next. Do what is right for you and God Bless

·
Registered
108 Posts
As some of the other guys were saying stay in. My wife wanted me to get out around the 8-9 year mark, talked to my Chief about it and the biggest point he mad was you're almost half way home.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts