Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I sat a new spot tonight in Blackwater and had an almost great night. Got up in the tree at 2 PM and read a little bit while keeping aneye on thewoods. Around 4 I decided to get serious and put the book away. Soon after, Isee movement way off in the distance. After 15 minutes or so3 deer come right out in front and begin to feed. All does. I know something is coming because with ears pointed forward they keep looking off to the right. I am invisible. Finally 2 more does appear and I hear several snorts from myright (way out of sight) andfrom 200 yards directly in front of me.The 5 does chase each other all over and then stop...looking the same direction...something is coming...into view steps a nice big deer.All 5 does bolt straight to and under my tree. The remaining deer feeds a while and continues towards me only to veer off 50 yards out and to my right. Had to have been a buck by the way it was acting...but could not grow horns in the dim light. Oh well...at least I finally got to see some.

When will Blackwater management ever get their heads out of their tails and start allowing some does? DUH! Don't get me started. At least everystate that surrounds us has a clue.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Well, you wont believe how many bucks are there. Do your homework and find the does now. When the middle of January rolls around they will be there. As far as the state allowing does, well think how many would get shot and not reported! There has to be some kind of check and balance system in order for it to workl properly. Same with buck harvest.I do not like any kind of point system to shoot. just give a limit and the rest will come. Same thing though, there needs to be some check system. Still seems as though it was a great afternoon hunt!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
James makes some valid points but there really is no denying a good herd management plan will produce trophy bucks and increase the deer herd. When I started hunting many years ago Tennessee estimated their herd near 100,000. It's almost 1 million now due to a combination of programs by TWRA and the state.

A few years ago several WMAs in Tennessee went to a 4 point or better on one side standard and these areas now produce and keep trophy quality deer. Sure some spikes and other bucks never fully develop but they are eventuallycut out by natural order.The ones that will develop are given a chance to not only develop but pass on their genetics for futuregenerations of quality deer.I'm sure quite a few "lesser" bucks have been killed by overjealous hunters but the overall results have been positive because the majority ofus play by the rules.

·
Super Moderator
28,510 Posts
Jeff, that's great that you got to see some deer anyways....they've been moving this past week purty good!:letsdrink

1 - 4 of 4 Posts