Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
killed this one today in walnut hill. i hunted a creek bed that connects a really thick planted pine section and a oak ridge with 2 green plots in it. he came right down the edge, headed back to bed, just after daylight. not really anything special but hes my first buck of the year. he did have a really big, bladed brow tine which gave him a lil character.

also, i have a question for yall. i found really big clumps of fat in the stomach cavity, mainly around the kidneys. i havent ever seen this before. this deer had tons of fat all over him. the most fat ive ever seen on a deer. do the huge fat deposits in the stomach cavity mean that hes healthy or could this possibly be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
28,583 Posts
Don't worry about the fat deposits....the 8 I have killed along w/ the 1 my youngin shot yesterday have all had a lot of fat....even them 50-60 lb'rs have good fat....now the 100 + lbr's (4 of them) were full of fat, they have just had a lot of acorns and good crops this year....eating good in the neighborhood!!!

Good job an the kill brother!!!:clap

·
Registered
231 Posts
All that fat is bad news. Give me a call and I will make sure it probably disposed of. J/K It a nice deer, that has been eating well and was healthy. Should be very good eating, corn fed.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Good first buck now you can wait on Mr. Big. It looks like the wind is going to be bad the next day or so and with the full moon it may be tough. Hopefully i will catch one making a mistake in the morning. I have killed a few does and seen some small bucks but I need a 6 point or better to show up. Congrats on the buck!!

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
I never even gut my deer. I skin em' amd cut the backstraps out , then the front shoulders and hind quarters. Never even see the gut sor have t o fool with them. Makes for easy cleaning. I have seen the fat deposits in the past ,but dont think its a problem...eat him anyway. He's a nice buck...congrats

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DoneDeal2 (12/23/2007)I never even gut my deer. I skin em' amd cut the backstraps out , then the front shoulders and hind quarters. Never even see the gut sor have t o fool with them. Makes for easy cleaning. I have seen the fat deposits in the past ,but dont think its a problem...eat him anyway. He's a nice buck...congrats
i eat the ribs and the tenderloin so im forced to deal with the guts. and i usually cut out the heart and liver too...

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top>

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl9_lblFullMessage>"I never even gut my deer. I skin em' amd cut the backstraps out , then the front shoulders and hind quarters. Never even see the guts or have to fool with them."

Man you must not know what you are missing. I have never had enough meat on the ribs to take them, because I always cut the "flank" meat off the ribbs as steaks. However if you easily cut the belly cavity and let the inards fall into a bucket, you can cut those tender loins out without even bustin the stinky stuff. Hope you try this next time, I take mine and tenderize them a bit, wrap in bacon and season,with a little steak seasoning and garlic salt. Talk about lip smackin mmmmm mmmmm.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts