Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use it for hunting? What kinda performance should I expect? What is best performing ammo for deer hunting with this caliber....
Thanks in advance for your responses, this will be my first ever 7.62x39. I'm not into rifles used to kill Americans, this is on a Thompson single shot Encore platform.:thumbsup:

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shoot 'em in the head and no tracking is required!
I've got a .22mag for that Jason, but I'm gonna need you to hold the light..:whistling:

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
It should be fine for the large dogs with antlers they call deer around here. People compare the round to 30-30 and like a 30-30 dont expect to be making those several hundred yard shots with it either. The Zombie Max Ammo should be good and at least worth the try for some laugh factor.

FWIW, my rifles have never killed any Americans. My Russian AKM was originally sold to the Iranians in the late seventies so maybe it went up against a few Iraqis in the Iran-Iraq War. It was then captured by Israeli commandos on the way to Palestine from Iran but luckily they got it before it ended up in the wrong hands and she now rests safely with me.

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its basically an auto 3030..hornady makes the polymer tipped stuff for it..I'd say it'd be pretty good
The encore is a single shot... I just have no expirence with this caliber and I'm thinking it would be good for a kid to shoot because of the recoil factor...

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dont worry ill have the surefire on my AR for the follow up when you miss!
I won't miss as long as you hold my beer for me:thumbsup:

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still haven't heard from anyone that actively hunts with one... Anyone?

·
Registered
53 Posts
deer rifle

I have a ruger 7.62x39 ranch carbine and I am not afraid to shoot any deer around here or Camden,Alabama. I use remington core locks from wal-mart
and will drop em dead out to 150 yards easy.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
894 Posts
i watched my buddy shoot a 320 lb hog with one and it dropped with one shot. couldve been luck but i know hes killed a few deer with it also. all his shots are under 100 yrds though. if the gun shoots accurate enough for you then your good. i know the round (if you use hunting ammo) will do its job. fmj will work with a head shot but im pretty sure its illegal and my sks i wouldnt trust to make head shots. if you try it let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts

·
Banned
395 Posts
??

"I'm not into rifles used to kill Americans", this is on a Thompson single shot Encore platform.:thumbsup:

I understand where you r comming from, but it sure narrows the list down abit don't it, as most all guns are , or have been used in killing americans. are you never going to own a gun like the one you got shot with? I believe I would have that one and mount it in a frame and hang it on the wall! I sure was lookin at that encore hard. Glad you beat me to it. It will be one of your favorite single shots for sure.

·
Registered
894 Posts
americans get killed every day by glocks, s&w, ruger, etc. its just by other americans. the only guns that have never been used to kill americans are from france. :)

·
Banned
121 Posts
From experience

I have shot a deer while it was running at lil over 50 yards with a SKS. Shot it three times and still had to cut its throat.

Once behind the front shoulder and again in the upper mid back. It didnt even phase it until it fell over about 75 yards later. Then when i got to it he rose and ran again and i shot him in the hind end. When i got to it was still alive and had to cut its throat. Im not much into animals suffering so i will never use one for hunting deer again.Just my opinion and 2 cents. Now with that said i have killed many with my 30-30's and never had any trouble but they were standing still not in adrenaline mode? Hope this helps.

Deer was a good size fairly young 5 point buck.In Styx River AL.

And normally for kids i have a medium caliber semi auto with 1 round in it because auto's kick far less.

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"I'm not into rifles used to kill Americans", this is on a Thompson single shot Encore platform.:thumbsup:

I understand where you r comming from, but it sure narrows the list down abit don't it, as most all guns are , or have been used in killing americans. are you never going to own a gun like the one you got shot with? I believe I would have that one and mount it in a frame and hang it on the wall! I sure was lookin at that encore hard. Glad you beat me to it. It will be one of your favorite single shots for sure.
I actually do own one like I was shot with... It was a Jennings 9mm 13 shot... Man I never though that gun was gonna run dry.... I guess the ak, sks,mac90, Chinese guns have been used by every bad guy in every war movie and I have never owned one... I just don't like them...

·
Registered
340 Posts
I use mine... I have killed several 180 pound MS bucks... I use 154 grain soft point. 110 yards has been the longest shot so far... Good luck... I usually shoot for the heart... Have not lost any yet... 4X compact scope, looking for a 3X-9X power compact...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts