Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
VIP of the PFF
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went after the mangroves this morning and got schooled by a bunch of big ones ! But I did manage to put 3 keepers and a nice redfish on Ice. I should have had my limit on snappers but the really big ones made me look like a chump this morning as they powered back into the structure and broke me off time and time again ! Lol ! I fished until around 10:30 when a bad thunderstorm ended the trip.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
man, i tell you, russ that was a good catch because them bastards are about as sneaky as the convicts. you did good.
jack

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
btw
but you could pm that guy that used to post on here about the hundred or so he caught under the bridge somewhere. only thing is it took about five to get a lb. of meat.
poor babies never had a chance.
jack

·
VIP of the PFF
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good work! I have yet to catch an inshore gray snapper. What is bait of choice and places to look? Thanks for any advice
Bridge pilings, underneath docks, big rock rip rap, and most any hard structures . Years ago when I use to do a lot of dock light fishing for specks, I found a pier that the home owner had dumped a washer and dryer off the end of his pier and it was always loaded with mangroves.
I use bull minnows or live shrimp most of the time but most any small baitfish will work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
yep,
those new 3-mile bridge pilings should hold some biguns in a few years.
jack

·
VIP of the PFF
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate it guys !
Yeah Jack ,I caught a bunch of little throw backs today, but the bigger ones would run out inhale my bait and be back in the structure before I could say don't ! Lol ! I was fishing in about 6 feet of water and they were line shy this morning. I started out using a rod with bigger line, but they were skittish . I swapped over to another reel with 10 lb. test and a 20lb.flourocarbon leader and they started eating it up.....but you can only put so much pressure on them with the ol speck pole and 10 lb. test. Lol !

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Thanks for the response! Ever had any luck around garçon bridge? I’ve caught lots of sheeps out there

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Appreciate it guys !
Yeah Jack ,I caught a bunch of little throw backs today, but the bigger ones would run out inhale my bait and be back in the structure before I could say don't ! Lol ! I was fishing in about 6 feet of water and they were line shy this morning. I started out using a rod with bigger line, but they were skittish . I swapped over to another reel with 10 lb. test and a 20lb.flourocarbon leader and they started eating it up.....but you can only put so much pressure on them with the ol speck pole and 10 lb. test. Lol !

call me crazy but i use a 65 lb dark green braid with a 50 leader, weight depends on the current. i've been lucky enough to patiently finesse them out when i get wrecked.
good 2-3 lbs. fun as hell.
jack

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
btw, the leader is mono.
jack

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nice work Russ! I have a goal of trying to get on these inshore mangroves this coming week. Have you noticed if they bite best on a particular tide?

·
VIP of the PFF
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice work Russ! I have a goal of trying to get on these inshore mangroves this coming week. Have you noticed if they bite best on a particular tide?
It really depends on the location, but overall I prefer an out going tide.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,932 Posts
Nice! Found out that when you get a bite, setting the hook while running back to the stern/bow ups the catch ratio.
Plus having a rod with a backbone is a must.
Still gonna lose a few studs tho.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts