Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They were using an open-face spinning reel with 40 lb. test line.

http://www.OrangeBeach.ws

More pictures, and the full story of the 3 hour fight will be published this eventing (Tuesday), and if we are lucky, we may even have some video of the fight.

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
and not just any open-face spinning reel..... a VAN STAAL.... hell of a fish.:bowdown

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
:clap:clap Nice catch, but I don't know if I (wouldn't want to keep, but that's me) would want to fight a shark for 3 hours:banghead, Job well done.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Weidenbach and Bowman run inshore charters on a 47-foot Viking from Orange Beach Marina

wow these guys run inshore charters on a 47 viking?

edit.......the article has been edited....just wanted everyone to know that i'm not losing my mind. It really did say that these guys ran inshore charters out of a 47 viking

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
kanemano (12/18/2007)Second Monster Mako caught in this area this year!

Strange year for critters all around..

yeah, and the b or so that have been caught off the pier in the last 2 weeks.... all in the 300lb+ range.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
bull reds. some people dont realize it, but makos will chase those big reds once they get start schooling like that on the beaches.

we've seen a handful from the pier lately. i hooked one about 300lbs last week on a 706 with 20, and i got a few good jumps from him, then bye bye. he never ran fast like i was expecting, but never slowed from his steady pace

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Funny thing is I was talking to wade at the launch as they were about to leave and he nonchalantly said they were going to play with some reds! looks like play time got pretty serious.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
no doubt! those makos are some BEAUTIFUL animals. i hope they got plenty of good pictures of it while still in the water.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The story included said they saw him swim by the boat and threw a chunk of red fish at him, when he bit. (I wouldnt have told that ) Dang what a nice fish. I would love some grilled mako and a nice set of jaws like that.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I don't think I would think twice in trading a redfish for a few hundred pounds of mako steaks. Hell I would have thrown him a yellowfin filet for that matter!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts