Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Them sumbitch's been do the same $hit for years, It's called job security. There job security and they do not give a $hit

who it put's out of business. Recreational fishing is in serious trouble not from over harvest, but the N.M.F.S.

There is and old saying, that nothing is never going to change until somebody stand's up and fight's. Been fighting them

for as long as I can remember and will continue till I can't remember. Still waiting on that CHANGE

The only problem is Job Security. Help save a endangered species (Recreational fisherman an women), stand and fight for your right's.

Over

·
Registered
25 Posts
What really gets me is the calculation of harvest on the recreational side. How many of you guys have ever been stopped, to have your catch weight. Or better than that seen anybody at the dock do a report on how many pounds of snapper they have on board.other than the charter boats, mates so they can calculate what they are going to make for cleaining the fish. Where do they come up with the figuer's number of license sold. I do not know can anybody tell me how they do it.

Big O

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
BIG O (2/4/2010)What really gets me is the calculation of harvest on the recreational side. How many of you guys have ever been stopped, to have your catch weight. Or better than that seen anybody at the dock do a report on how many pounds of snapper they have on board.other than the charter boats, mates so they can calculate what they are going to make for cleaining the fish. Where do they come up with the figuer's number of license sold. I do not know can anybody tell me how they do it.

Big O
http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/fishingforum/Topic479028-2-1.aspx

·
Registered
56 Posts
BIG O (2/4/2010)What really gets me is the calculation of harvest on the recreational side. How many of you guys have ever been stopped, to have your catch weight. Or better than that seen anybody at the dock do a report on how many pounds of snapper they have on board.other than the charter boats, mates so they can calculate what they are going to make for cleaining the fish. Where do they come up with the figuer's number of license sold. I do not know can anybody tell me how they do it.

Big O

Never......in 15 or 20years of snapper fishing...have I EVER been stopped/boarded/met at the cleaning table/anything. Not even called for a survey, and I've bought my license every year.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
bpy (2/4/2010)

Big O

Never......in 15 or 20years of snapper fishing...have I EVER been stopped/boarded/met at the cleaning table/anything. Not even called for a survey, and I've bought my license every year.

Concider yourself lucky. 2 summers ago I was checked on the way out of Destin Pass, while on location 16 miles out and when I entered back into the pass in the afternoon. I have been checked about a dozen times while fishing out of Destin sometimes as far out as 30 miles. Also very often when returning around Crab Island.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
lobsterman (2/4/2010)
bpy (2/4/2010)

Big O

Concider yourself lucky. 2 summers ago I was checked on the way out of Destin Pass, while on location 16 miles out and when I entered back into the pass in the afternoon. I have been checked about a dozen times while fishing out of Destin sometimes as far out as 30 miles. Also very often when returning around Crab Island.
Yes, I've been ck several times just like Lobsterman; however, my catch was neverrecorded for any type of scientific research to my knowledge.

So, the question: Have youever had your "fish catch"recorded for scientific research?

Jimmy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Actually Dr. Crabtree reported that the season could be as long as 60 days but he predicted that it would be shorter because they are predicting a 15% increase in weights this year that would lend to an earlier closing.

There was discussion on Sector Separation and the discussion was to take it out of the Amendment 32 as it should have been and to come back and present it as its own amendment. It is just too big of an issue to be mixed in with the grouper amendment.

The most disturbing thing was the personal conversation that I had with Dr. Crabtree. In talking better input data for better science he told me that better data would not help. He is of the opinion that UNDER THE CURRENT FSHERIES MANAGEMENT PLAN we will never again see a 6 month season. He predicted that it most likely would be hard to get as much as a 4 month season. His reasoning was that as the stock groes healthier, the fish are going to get larger and more disbursed, this is going to make them easier to catch and bring more people to the water's edge, catching larger fish. He is of the opinion that we will continue to overfish our TAC and cintinually be penalized.

I truely believe that your fight is at the federal level. We have to have MSA re-visited and we have to get something better. The oval office has appointed the head of NOAA and she has set policy in place for Crabtree. He is going to follow the policy direction and thus is going to push for LAPP and IFQ, we have to change the top.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good post Reel Sceamer, they are still pissing on our leg and telling us it's raining. I am afraid there may be no hope, hope I am wrong but this has been going on for along time with no end in sight.

·
Registered
56 Posts
jjam (2/4/2010)
lobsterman (2/4/2010)
bpy (2/4/2010)

Big O

Yes, I've been ck several times just like Lobsterman; however, my catch was neverrecorded for any type of scientific research to my knowledge.

So, the question: Have youever had your "fish catch"recorded for scientific research?

Jimmy

Maybe they don't care as much in the state of Alabama. My home base is Sportsman in Orange Beach. I've seen them in Perdido Pass, thats about it.

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
Many of my friends on here are not aware that the commercial sector's TAC is measured in gutted weight. The good FWC 'fish counters' have always weighed our fish whole. Has this been the case with everyone else? The entrails make up at least 10% especially with some of these roe-laden sows.

Capt. Jim www.aquaventurecharters.com

·
Registered
848 Posts
Thanks JoeZ, Matt, Chris, Reelscreamer and others. I though it would be better to try to take on Florida FWC policy makers, as TExas has. But as Reelscreamers says we need to change to thinking of the top policy makers. Old Crabtree's mind is set, though.

I am glad Chris Matt and others like Capt Wes Rozier are speaking up for us.

Keep up the effort.

Your voice is our life and destiny.

Thanks, sincerely.

Toddinthebay

·
Registered
555 Posts
Reel Screamers (2/4/2010)I truely believe that your fight is at the federal level. We have to have MSA re-visited and we have to get something better. The oval office has appointed the head of NOAA and she has set policy in place for Crabtree. He is going to follow the policy direction and thus is going to push for LAPP and IFQ, we have to change the top.
I agree completely, hopefully the march on Washington will open some deaf ears. I personally cannot attend the rally but have written dozens on letters to elected officials regarding my (our) stance on the over regulation of our fishery and I suggest whoever has not todo so.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts