Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, from the reports I heard out of today's meeting in Mobile we're getting June and July for snapper but the Total Allowable Catch has gone up.

They are letting us catch 6 and some odd million pounds but because they increased the average weight of fish in the equation (rightfully so) to 4 pounds (and that's awfully low) we're getting fewer days.

Oh joy.

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. 2 fish per person a day.

Do the math. We get 49% of about 6 or 6.5 million pounds. We would need 40,000 people catching fish everyday of the 60-day season to hit the mark. Seems a little absurd to me.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
<SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Chris Phillips and I went to the NMFS meeting in Mobile today. The options for next years red snapper season were discussed along with some discussion about grouper. There was no public comment at today?s meeting, that will be tomorrow. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">The short of it is that it looks like next years snapper season will be about 60 days long. Last years season was 75 days long. This is actually the best option that was proposed to the counsel, the other two were even shorter. The gulf counsel recognizes that the snapper stocks are healthy and the season should be longer but, and it seems many of the NMFS members share the same feelings. Again Roy Crabtree seems to be a voice of opposition to fishermen and not willing to work towards a longer season. <o:p></o:p><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">With Crabtree being a major exception, the overall tone of the meeting seemed to be in support of both commercial and recreational fishermen. The science and data used is an absolute joke but that has been beaten like a dead horse so I will let it die. <o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
This is BULLSHIT, although i cant bitch to much because i wasn't there today. But i have a pretty good reason. I broke my foot and im outta commission for a little bit.

This is still BULLSHIT.

·
Registered
780 Posts
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>After getting home and reading the draft regulatory amendment it actually says that if they go with alternative #2 which was motioned at the meeting that we will have a 51-60 day season. Public testimony and discussion amongst the Gulf Council will be the next two days so things could change. There are a number of different things and people after this week that it must go through before the rule is actually set though.<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>I think we should probably take one more shot at trying to convince the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commissioners to stray away from the feds and have a separate state waters season. The problem this year is that the February meeting will be too early and I?ve been told that red snapper will not even be on the agenda for discussion. I was told last week when I talked to a state spokesman that will be on the agenda either in April (Tallahassee) or June (Winter Park) in which the season would already be underway. I think a 4-6 month state season would be awesome!<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>If we ended up having to travel to Winter Park would enough people be interested in going on a bus if Hot Spots paid for it? I have the Draft Regulatory Amendment at the store if anyone would like to stop by and look through it. I should also have it in an email in the next few days where I would be able to forward it.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I agree with Chris, and Capt Wes has said it before, We are fighting the wrong government. We should be fighting to get the State of Florida to extend the Snapper Season in State Waters. Florida Controls up to 9 miles offshore. Texas has always ignored the Fed Gov't seasons, why should we let Florida give in? The Governor will no longer respond to my emails when I asked specific questions to why he did not support the recreational fisherman and why Florida will not extend our own seasons...

·
Registered
391 Posts
We all know snapper are over populating.. State waters should have a 6 month 2 fish 18 " red snapper limit just to balance fish populations !! It's our local economy.. not just recreational fishermen.. effects all retail businesses, restaurants, lodging, property values in this recesssion.. we vote in Florida!! Texas doesn't have near the fishing & boating industry Florida has ... where's our state Gov't?????:banghead

·
Registered
159 Posts
Got to love politics, at least they are taking a notice of the fisherman, but I still think that's too short a season at a 2 daily bag limit. Not worth the time to go catch them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
chris, we would love to attend this meeting in winter park!!! my family has charters and believe me they have felt the pain along with everyone else!!! so we would love to go on this trip to winter park to voice our opinion it's time we all come together (we already do) but we need to come together bigger and louder than ever before!!!!!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I think they use the same math that the VA uses; 20% + 20% = 25%. Still haven?t figured that one out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I could have sworn that the last thing I read about the 2010 snapper season was they were leaning toward lengthening the season, how did they all of a sudden change their minds, and shorten it? When will the actual regs be published? <y Dad had apamplet of some kind this weekend and it showed a 100 or 120 day season, but had an astrick by it saying it was subject to something.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
What a bunch of shell-game tactics this is......:doh

Raise the TAC, but unfortunately, they are bigger this year, so still only 2 fish for you. What a pile of stinking doggy doo-doo....:sick

I wish I was able to go to the public comment meeting. They might revoke the right to free speech right there on the spot.

·
Registered
148 Posts
JoeZ (2/2/2010)Yep. 2 fish per person a day.

Do the math. We get 49% of about 6 or 6.5 million pounds. We would need 40,000 people catching fish everyday of the 60-day season to hit the mark. Seems a little absurd to me.
I agree with the sentiment, but speaking of bad math:poke

6,500,000 pounds x .49= 3,185,000poundsdivided by 4 lbs per fish =796,250 fish to catch.

796,250 fish divided by 60 days to fish = 13,270 fish per day

13,270 fish per day divided by 2 fish per person = 6635 people fishing per day, catching there limit to meet the TAC(not including bycatch, release mortality, etc). Still a lot of people, but not as absurd as 40,000 per day.

The real problem is the TAC which has been set way too low.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Chris Phillips (2/2/2010)If we ended up having to travel to Winter Park would enough people be interested in going on a bus if Hot Spots paid for it? I have the Draft Regulatory Amendment at the store if anyone would like to stop by and look through it. I should also have it in an email in the next few days where I would be able to forward it.

I might be interested Chris. Keep us all informed.

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
It's anybodies guess what it's going to be until the regulations are published. Actually I think that passage of amendment 32 (changing 3 season closure items commercial sector) is the only thing that can shorten the recreational season. The commercial sector will be able to overfish and just take it off the top of next year while at the same time the recreational season will close as soon as overfishing is announced.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts