Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Good kill and a great buck.

Once a 6-pt always a 6-pt is pretty much the rule, based on observation and some study by those QDM guys.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
You're about right Hugh, I've been seeing that deer for several years and he has not grown much appreciable antler mass for awhile. Wil did a good job with this one.

Mark

·
Registered
556 Posts
hjorgan (2/5/2008)Once a 6-pt always a 6-pt is pretty much the rule
-

-

I don't think I'm buying that. Just another opinion here...take it or leave it. I guess I don't have any solid proof to back-up my side, buy seems logical that a buck will progressively get bigger as he gets older.

Now, that being said, I have seen SOME 6pt bucks that will always be 6pts. Thats a genetics problem there. But, NOT ALL of them will stay 6pts forever. Most 6pts haven't reached their full potential (maturity wise).

The only proof I can provide is that had the priviledge of watching a family friend raise a buck in a pin. This buck started off a spike, then a 4pt his 2nd year, then a 7pt his 3rd year, then an 8pt his 4th year, then 9pt his 5th year. The buck went crazy and broke out of the pin during rut of his 5th year. That 7pt rack his 3rd year wasn't much to brag about. However, by the time he was a 9pt, he was areal wallhanger (& I'm picky too).

So,I have witnessed a buck get progressively bigger and bigger each year. I'm on board with that theory.

nb&twil, In no way do I mean to take away from your kill. Good job man! Thats a tall tall rack...pretty unique!

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I think you're partially right. The difference is the high protein/calcium feed that a deer has if it is available in a pen. If a deer is ranging the same territory in the wild and pretty much getting the same quality food throughout his life, his chances are cut drastically for growth. We have cattle on the area that will was hunting so growing a good healthy green field is difficult to do without stretching alot of fence and cutting down on grazing area for the stock. As I stated earlier, I have seen this deer for several years and he really hasn't grown much. Who knows, maybe next year would have been his year to bloom but I just don't know. One day, maybe we can start a good deer management program and grow some sure enough monsters.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
last night i was getting some more stuff ready to be packed and decided i would take some pictures and share the final product.

i hope you guys enjoy the pictures, i know im sure proud.

i like this angle a lot. they really look dark in this picture.

just for giggles i got on the boon&crockett website and scored it too. 96 4/8" after deductions. i was extremely pleased to learn that.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
not sure if he would have been bigger or not next year but i am sure that hes a beautiful buck! man id love to kill a 6 that was that big. good job!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts