Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my grandpa shot a 6 point with a 30/06 165 grain it ran a 200yd pouring out blood everywhere is that normal o yea he shot at 150

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
Tell him to shoot the next one in the shoulder blade and break it down. It won't run far.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I shoot a Browning BAR 30/06 with a 165 grain bullet and at 200 yards tell him he made a great shot. There is nothing wrong with the rifle or bullet but as stated he needs to make sure to hit it at the shoulder blade. It would not have gone near as far with this shot placement. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Fls Scout - I shoot the same gun BAR in 30-06, I switched to the Winchester Ballistic Tips (168 grain) a couple years ago - so farI've dropped three deer and a 1,000# elk in their tracks with it. They also shoot great - I can get 3/4" groups at 100yds off the bench - which is damn good for factory loads and a hunting rifle. I did have a hog that I hit high in the shoulder drop immediately, then get up and run away - never recovered him, but I must have missed the shoulder blade and the spine.

David- 200 yards is still a great shot- and if you had plenty of blood - no problem with it running 200 yards. When I have the time and the angle - I like to take the high shoulder shot. Aim straight up from the front leg, just above the top of the shoulderthen back about three inches- it takes out the shoulder blade, at least one lung and usually the spine and drops them like a stone.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
28,512 Posts
He probably did'nt shoot is in the vitals...If he was a little far back it'll still pour blood since it'll have a big exit wound...I've done that to a couple deer at 200 + yards and that's what happens they'll run fer a bit sometimes clot up a little and drip blood-most the time not finding them until the yotes have found them first and ate the ass end outta them. At least he found the deer right off the bat! Congrats to him!:clap

1 - 10 of 10 Posts