Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally decided it was time to try some fishing in Florida. Boy am I glad we did. Got all set up and lines in the water by 8:15. Water and weather both beautiful. Very slow. No bites for over 2 hours. Nothing. Then finally a really good hit for a pompano just over legal size. Quite again for another hour. So quiet my wife fell asleep. I got a work related phone call and was on the phone when we got a hit. I shook my wife's chair to wake her up to get the rod. She went running for it. Total slack in the line until right at the end she caught up with the pompano and he jumped out of the water. Finally landed him and we were shocked how big he was. 21" to the fork and a whopping 6 1/2 pounds! Our personal best of 12 years of fishing for pompano. Not bad for our inaugural trip. Both caught on live sand fleas. Thanks JC.

100_4602.jpg

100_4604.jpg

100_4607.jpg

100_4606.jpg

100_4614.jpg

100_4615.jpg

100_4618.jpg

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Holy COW!!! I didn't know that they got that big!

Quite a meal that you have for yourself there.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Congrats!!!!! That's a one of a life time catch you came close to the Fl state record at 8.4 lbs if I'm not mistaking.!!! WOW

·
Super Moderator
27,954 Posts
Dang what a monster!!!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
My goodness! Congratulations to you and your wife.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thats a Permit! Just kidding. You can tell its a pomp just by looking at the gentle slope above the mouth to the back compared to the steeper slope on the permit. It should have more rays on the fins as well. Im jealous. It will be next spring before I can get down there.

·
Constitution Conservative
2,541 Posts
Wowzers! Huge Pomp, Congrats!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Whoa... POMPANOSAuRUS!!! Great job getting that in. Most people don't realize how well a pompano fights. Pound for pound, pomps are tough fish. Most people surf fish for pomps with big tackle and it takes away from the sporting part of. I've only had 1 pompano similar to that size in my life, and it was quite a battle using 10lb test and it broke off 20 yards from shore. That is a catch of a lifetime!!! Congratulations!!! I think I will go respool all reels with fresh line and start keeping the golf ball size sand fleas instead of tossing them back...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts