Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a used starter for my 1996 GMC Sierra 2500 with the 6.5 Liter turbo diesel engine and 4L80E trans. It will be a month before i can afford a new starter, and I cannot afford to have my truck sit around that long. PM me if you have one. Thanks PFF :thumbup:

·
Registered
755 Posts
Ever consider getting it rebuilt? B & M starter and alternator on palafox is quite affordable.

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a rebuilt starter from B&M. Its gone completely haywire. Blowing ign 1 fuse. Wont turn over. Now it runs constantly. About to test their warranty.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
a reman with lifetime warranty at Autozone for that truck is 159.99, the part # is DL8401S. there were 2 different 6.5's in the '96 but they both used the same starter.

I've had great luck with B & M remans too, never had to test their warranty's. good Luck!

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I chose B&M because I did not want to be using a lifetime warranty every six months with cheap imported starters. I just hope this is a fluke. Its in the starter solenoid or possibly the wiring. Over the past two months I have quite a few times where I get a very loud click when turning the key. Sometimes I would have to constantly toggle the key for two minutes to get it started. Just checked all connections and cleaned battery connections.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Take it back to B&M, my boat starter acted up, they made it right. No additional charge.:thumbsup:

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Called B&M and Ron told me to bring it in. Now trying to figure out how to get over there.

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
B&M replaced the solenoid free of charge. Now the dam thing will not stop cranking over when ign 1 fuse is in. Key switch or ignition switch??? This thing is costing me work.....

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Jason, take your starter(ignition) lead off your solenoid and run a hot jumper through a push button sw. It'll get you by for now, just did it on my truck. It's my ignition and not the key sw. You will probably still need to turn the key to start and then hit the button if your computer controlled. I do on mine.

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lastcast i am about to do that. Thanks for the advice. My credit is so screwed i can't even get a rental.

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It works! I now have a fancy redneck nengineered push to start old as dirt pickup truck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts