Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got out Saturday morning and I decided to stay in state water’s and fish public numbers so we didn’t catch great big snappers but we did get our 8 by 6:30 and messed around and got a couple gags and a blackie to boot

The ole Regulator ran like a top and the crew was happy.
We used pin fish and live cigars.
The deepest spot we fished was 60’ .
10oz eggs, 100# braided main lime with 80# mono top shots , 12’ long 40# Fluorocarbon leaders and the old school charter boat mustad 10 oo hooks.
Tight lines friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
615 Posts
You guys kill it. If you don't mind me asking, do you change anything up to catch the gags? We went out to 300 feet and dropped big ruby reds down after we got our snapper limit. We were hoping to catch a couple of gags down there but we still caught only snapper... We can't seem to get through to the gags when there are snapper everywhere...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You guys kill it. If you don't mind me asking, do you change anything up to catch the gags? We went out to 300 feet and dropped big ruby reds down after we got our snapper limit. We were hoping to catch a couple of gags down there but we still caught only snapper... We can't seem to get through to the gags when there are snapper everywhere...
Man it tuff for sure but when I find gags it’s usually on spots that have AJ’s over the spot and I only fish a loop knot. I prefer a canoe man loop knot . A loop knot gives a live bait a chance to look natural to the gags. It’s the only knot I use when live bait fishing. If I’m dropping dead baits I use a snell knot …. And I always use a long long leader. I’ve found the more distance you can put between the egg sinker and the bait the more strikes I get and that turns into more hookups. Hopefully this information will help you in someway… tight lines and be safe out there.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Man it tuff for sure but when I find gags it’s usually on spots that have AJ’s over the spot and I only fish a loop knot. I prefer a canoe man loop knot . A loop knot gives a live bait a chance to look natural to the gags. It’s the only knot I use when live bait fishing. If I’m dropping dead baits I use a snell knot …. And I always use a long long leader. I’ve found the more distance you can put between the egg sinker and the bait the more strikes I get and that turns into more hookups. Hopefully this information will help you in someway… tight lines and be safe out there.

Thanks for the advice. I use a snell knot almost exclusively, so I will try the loop knot you referenced. We use about 6 feet of 60lbs mono leader for snapper, but bump that up to 6-8 feet of 80lbs flouro when targeting grouper. I have had good luck with scamp doing this, but have not been able to consistently boat gags, so I will give that a shot.

Reactions: CPD67

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
that mangrove ought to count on your aggregate, not on your 2 ars.
y'all got a bunch of good eating.
jack

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that mangrove ought to count on your aggregate, not on your 2 ars.
y'all got a bunch of good eating.
jack
There were two more red snapper not in the picture of the fish laying in the floor of the boat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts