Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dodge finally gave out and was going to go with a f-250 with a 5.4 litre triton or spend a little more and get a 6.0 deisel but not sure if it would be worth it?

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
go diesel!!!... little bit more for the truck, and the fuel... but better gas mileage, more dependable, and MORE POWER!!!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
if you are using the truck for towing, go with diesel, not sure if it will be turbocharged or not, but if it is you can get tons of power out of it. diesel is awesome, you can make it in your garage!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I work on 5.4 Liters all the time, I hate them. They always have problems with coil packs, and ford should have had a recall on the engine a while ago. Check out the consumer report on the gas 5.4, they have a problem with the plugs stripping out the aluminum block. My buddy had to yank the block out of his navigator to replace the head after he found out it was damaged!!!

Diesel engine is pretty solid, never really heard anything bad on them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had an 035.4L F250 a few months back. For the time that I had it it never gave me any major problems and I rode it pretty hard...mudding and towing and such. But I traded it for a new F450 and I must say diesel is probably the way to go. They last a hell of a lot longer and have twice as much power plus you can tune them and get awesome gains.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
when i ran a landscaping crew, our 250 gas (single cab 2wd) got terrible gas mileage - about half of what our 450 got. so if youre driving it more than 100 miles per week, the deisel motor EASILY pays for itself.

we ended up selling the gas truck and getting a chevy 3500 with the duramax. and saw incredible profit increases on longer driving jobs. crazy how fast that junk would add up. especially pulling a trailer.

if you plan on pulling a boat or any trailer, the deisel might lose 10% of its fuel economy where the gas truck will pretty much cut in half.

in addition to all that, the deisel will have MUCH more of a resale value if/when you decide to get rid of it.

one more thing... if your buying new, look way out of the area. turns out that 3500 we got was priced so much lower in atlanta that we flew one guy out there, and had him drive it back and still saved over 1000 off of what we wouldve payed here.

·
Praedator
10,048 Posts
nb&twil (12/11/2007)

one more thing... if your buying new, look way out of the area. turns out that 3500 we got was priced so much lower in atlanta that we flew one guy out there, and had him drive it back and still saved over 1000 off of what we wouldve payed here.
That goes for almost any vehicle in the area. Our area is outrageous when it comes to vehicle pricing. Look at places like Mobile, and even east to Ft. Walton. I just bought a 2004 Double Cab Tundra with 40K on the ticker. There were plenty of these trucks in Pensacola. But I noticed them priced like they were gold in the 20K -22K range plus your TTT. I went to Ft. Walton one day and came back with my truck for 17K out the door. I was shocked at the better deals just outside of our general area. It pays to shop around when it comes to vehicles in our area.

And just like other's have said, go deisel. I have never heard one guy said they wish they had got the gas version after they bought the deisel. If your looking at the Ford, and you don't mind used, try and find a good used one with the 7.3 motor. I think Ford has finally worked the kinks out of the 6.0L, but the 7.3L is just the better motor from what I hear.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If it is the 6.0PSD you will be getting just make sure it has the warranty. They have a problem with EGR valves & oil coolers going bad. Once they go bad it allows the corrosive new coolant to run through your exhaust & rust your turbo. You will notice this when you run hot from lack of coolant & tons of white smoke coming from your exhaust. Other than that its a good truck. Wanna buy mine?

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you very much for your response I went with the king ranch crew cab diesel and it is bad ass:bowdown taking it to have a banks big hoss package put on it to really get more power

·
Registered
213 Posts
i got an 04 crew cab lariot 4x4 5.4liter triton.... ive sank that truck an tore it all up.... its still running like it needs to an is a perfect truck i love it.... the 250 will only tow 2000 more pounds if your looking an towing things but the the deisel is better on milage... its all in what your looking for... im 18 an got a truck for work an my 22foot bay boat an a little bit of mud...

im about to lift the front to level it an put 33" bfg mud terrains on it within the next month... gotta have diffrent tires on other that the stock most deff!

good luck on finding the truck!

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
You did right by getting the diesel...Actually they are cheaper to maintain as far as the everyday items go. Cheaper on oil changes. Since the fuel mileage is better it off sets the fuel cost. Much longer life then a gas burner. And you never have to worry about towing something. DIESEL...:clap:clap:clap

1 - 15 of 15 Posts