Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went out to the edge on sunday and found out surprise! My trolling motor wasn't working. Fortunately winds and seas were calm so it was fairly easy to drift fish. We started in 180' and quickly had a few mingos in the box and some ruby's in the live well and found the formerly elusive keeper sized triggers. We left the mingos alone and sent a live ruby down for an AJ or grouper. I tried keeping the baits 10-40' off the bottom but drifting make it tough to keep it at the right depth. Hindsight being 20/20 it was a mistake to use our heavier trolling rigs which have a 300' mono top shot and I didn't think to anticipate the stretch, cause keeper groupers and AJ's tend to not be so subtle when they hit. I had a few taps but nothing like the typical AJ experience on braid so I thought it was just the bait panicking, but it was probably something taking the bait and going into the rocks cause I got hung up twice. Oh well live and learn.

With some meat in the box we decided to switched gears to try trolling. The water was cloudy green and the only signs of life were the occasional man of war. We trolled into 360' and I was mostly playing with the new depth finder settings to see how well it read bottom that deep. CHIRP wasn't too helpful, the 200 and 150khz freqs were better but didn't show much detail and we couldn't find any structure. Next time it sounds like I should go to 50 or 80 kHz, but I dropped a small chicken rig on the most promising looking spike and pulled up what looked like a 5" mingo. Not what I was expecting, and not worth the effort to crank it up 350 feet but it's a proof of concept I guess.

The ride home was smooth and uneventful until we spotted a log floating vertically in 340'! We didn't see anyone home, but I threw a DOA shrimp a few times and a chicken dolphin chased it to the boat, so we rigged up the chicken bailing gear and started chumming and there was probably 50 holding tight to the log. They were tricky to hook with a 4/0 circle hook and squid chunks, but they had no problem finding the hook on glass minnow jigs. We kept 3 for cinco de mayo tacos and left the rest of the school still eating. If we had more time I would have jigged and trolled the area more for wahoo or cobia but we had plenty of fish for the next few days so we called it a day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice report. We went out to 600'-800' depth, did a lot of trolling with zero hits. Had 4 lines in the spread with different options and different lengths but nothing worked. We also found a chicken dolphin school of several hundred, was amazing watching them all swimming around and sure was fun playing with them. Had a big mark on radar and then saw it in the depths, was either a huge king or cuda, there was no structure so not sure...Hope we both have better luck trolling next time!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts