Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran to the spur and drifted for swords Friday night, nada. Passed the time netting flying fish and catching squid. Picked up and ran to Petronis arriving around 0430 to be greeted by about 10 boats. We saw blackfin busting under the lights but they seemed in interested in livebait, chunks, jigs... it was disappointing. Left Petronis around 0630 and ran out to Valaris, same deal as Petronis, fish around but not interested. Left Valaris around 10 and ran back to a rip near the double nipple and picked up a handful of mahi off a color change. Ran back to the tile grounds and then all the way back to Destin. 350ish miles of slow fishing. Had great conditions, just no real amazing fishing to speak of. I heard thunder horse and Appomattox gave up some YF.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Glad we weren't the only ones that had a slow day out there. We ran 40 miles south around the 131 and found a small weed line that had a few small dolphin. We ran a six line spread with no action for most of the day. The water was as flat as it gets out there but the fish weren't cooperating. Noticed the moon was up the entire time but I don't know much about the lunar effects. Overall we made the most of it and just enjoyed being able to get out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We spent the night at horn mountain. Caught 1 yellowfin just before sunset, kept a few blackfin. Seen a few yellowfin break the surface right at dawn but didn't have anymore takers, didn't see anyone else hook up either. Water was blue, no current. Marlin and Ram Powell looked dirty and dead.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We spent the night at horn mountain. Caught 1 yellowfin just before sunset, kept a few blackfin. Seen a few yellowfin break the surface right at dawn but didn't have anymore takers, didn't see anyone else hook up either. Water was blue, no current. Marlin and Ram Powell looked dirty and dead.
What boat were y’all in? We stayed at horn. Caught yf and about 20 big blackfin and a guy next to us caught a marlin

·
Registered
70 Posts
What boat were y’all in? We stayed at horn. Caught yf and about 20 big blackfin and a guy next to us caught a marlin
White 26 foot Angler with no markings, black zukes. Stayed mostly on the west side of the rig. We could have caught blackfin all night but didn't want too many. Seen lots of blackfin caught, hate I missed seeing the marlin caught. I seen your boat I believe. About what time was the marlin caught?

·
Registered
7 Posts
We ran our to Petronas then headed east along a weed line toward Spur. Eventually we headed in and hit another line near the Nipple. Was a slow day for anything Pelagic. First time taking my boat out without a long time local and I couldn't help wonder if there was something on Rip Charts that we missed (or ignored). The altimetry and currents showed the most of DeSota Canyon was sitting right in a down welling area with clockwise current. Wondering if that chart along with the full moon was telling us to find a different fishing location for the weekend. Ultimately we made the run out because the weather was too good to pass up and the new (used) boat needed to stretch its legs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
White 26 foot Angler with no markings, black zukes. Stayed mostly on the west side of the rig. We could have caught blackfin all night but didn't want too many. Seen lots of blackfin caught, hate I missed seeing the marlin caught. I seen your boat I believe. About what time was the marlin caught?
We’re y’all the ones that stayed away from the rig for a few hours sleeping? There was a boat that sat in the same spot for hours about 150 yards from rig. We stayed on the west side the entire night. We pulled a yf in at 8:10 and about 10min after that there was a blue tail-walking 50 yards behind our boat for a good 10 seconds

1 - 8 of 8 Posts