Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hooked into a 5 1/2 foot tarpon tues (8/19) while redfishin. Fought it for about 2 minutes. It jumped twice about 50 foot from our fine vessel, then broke me off at my line (85lbs braid). Guess it swallowed deep cause I use close to 3 foot of 80 lbs mono leader. Reels set at 14 lbs of drag for these reds. Aint jokin when I say we land these fish as fast as possible. They still peel line. I use that much drag for bluefin tuna.Next time I'll know to back my drag down when bait clicker SCREAMS off. Tuna don't burn it like that. Did not think tarpon came up this far in the gulf. Happened two days in a row at the same time, 11:00-12:00 at night. DR. Reds and I WILL land that beast. Then there will be hootin and hollarin. Shakin right now from adrenaline and I got 10 to go. It's a bad, bad habit but what can we do. We are trying to get the video camera worked into our deal but tough with only two people. Up for any offers or suggestions.

·
Registered
848 Posts
please answer this

why were you using 80lb mono leader and 85 lb braid

what were you doing catching 300 lb redfish?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
kingling (8/24/2008)please answer this

why were you using 80lb mono leader and 85 lb braid

what were you doing catching 300 lb redfish?
My thoughts exactly. If I ever catch an oversized red its by accident and usually on 15lb braid with a 15lb flourocarbon leader. More fun that way. But not nocking your system. Itsounds like your having a good time.

·
Registered
448 Posts
That is some serious line. In skeets defense if you dont have something strong enough to turn those bulls around they'll run under that bridge and cut you off in a heartbeat. My buddy and I lost probably5-6 back to back sitting just outside one of the lights. It was always the same thing. Absolutely could not turn those bulls around before your line touches the piling and see ya later.I think we ended up catching 2 or so that night. We went back the nextnight with 40 lb power pro...it may have even been higher I can't remember and delivered vengeance. Is that hitting from behind?

"<U>for hitting lessons go to
</U>http://brantpeacher.com/<U>" </U>Is that hitting from behind? :poke

How'd you end up doing the other day brant?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heavy line and leader allows me to turn fish and get them in the boat fast. I hate wasting time reviving fish when I should be trying to catch another that is bigger. Also, out of 250 fish only two couldn't be brought back to life. I think that is a very good track record. I have no problem with allowing a fish to peel line in freespool knowing he is trying to swallow a bait and heading into structure. We don't like to lose fish or waste time. Hopefully our video tonite will show why we do things like we do. It works very well for us and the fish. With double headders we usually end up leadering the fish. 80lbs leader is alot easier on the hands. We will use our 400 reels with 40lbs braid and 30lbs leader if we don't have much time to fish. Fish 20lbs and over = 20+ minute fights & 10-15 minutes reviving that beat to death fish. Still alot of fight with our heavier gear. Both of us are beat tired by the next day. Lots of arm pump.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
what are you using for a reel? 30 or 50 wides? and is it a bent butt rod or standup gear? did you have to back down on the poon or were all the 85lb braid lines in the way? which bait did he hit the one on the rigger or the flat line? 3' of 80lb for redfish? i fish 20lb around docks and and 2500 reel and have had them wrap me around 5 or 6 pilings at a time and still get the fish out...its called finesse if you use that you can use lighter gear and make fishing a little more fun

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
HWWLR!!!

personally i use 10lb gear around docks, and usually 20-30lb gear around the bridge (basically king setups)....but whatever floats your boat, sounds more like you're trying to pull 50lb grouper out of a wreck though

jason lets break out the 50s and troll the pass for spanish tomorrow

·
Registered
527 Posts
fisheye48 (8/24/2008)what are you using for a reel? 30 or 50 wides? and is it a bent butt rod or standup gear? did you have to back down on the poon or were all the 85lb braid lines in the way? which bait did he hit the one on the rigger or the flat line? 3' of 80lb for redfish? i fish 20lb around docks and and 2500 reel and have had them wrap me around 5 or 6 pilings at a time and still get the fish out...its called finesse if you use that you can use lighter gear and make fishing a little more fun
:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown it might have been a 80w or 130w. I beg the differ you must have not caught a big tuna b/c they can empty a reel pretty quick.

·
Registered
213 Posts
.....i smell something.......i smell something that come out of a passture.....

why the hell are you using 80# line? i catch bullreds on 8 braid.... an 30-50# braid wont brake to easy........ 80# braid.... you trying to catch a whale? what size hook? a big j-hook?

even if you were tarpon fishin....on my staal 250 i have 40# and that more than enough for a bigger tarpon.....

i mean if you can use that big of line go ahead but what the point... all you need to do is put it in a holder an crank it with one hand... makes no sense.

·
Registered
213 Posts
MR.STAAL (8/24/2008).....i smell something.......i smell something that comes out of a passture.....

why the hell are you using 80# line? i catch bullreds on 8 braid.... an 30-50# braid wont brake to easy........ 80# braid.... you trying to catch a whale? what size hook? a big j-hook?

even if you were tarpon fishin....on my staal 250 i have 40# and that more than enough for a bigger tarpon.....

i mean if you can use that big of line go ahead but what the point... all you need to do is put it in a holder an crank it with one hand... makes no sense.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
biggamefishr (8/24/2008)HWWLR!!!

personally i use 10lb gear around docks, and usually 20-30lb gear around the bridge (basically king setups)....but whatever floats your boat, sounds more like you're trying to pull 50lb grouper out of a wreck though

jason lets break out the 50s and troll the pass for spanish tomorrow

wanna take the 56' or 72' viking? im getting the 80's and 130 ready as we speak!!! you have the pinfish brined yet? we might need them for those 100lb spanish

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
couldn't find any pinfish but i'll bridle up some glass minnows. I wonder what kind of action you could get from a gotcha on a 706 spooled with 85lb braid with 130 flouro leader.

This is my last post....I'm only joking with the original poster, no hurt feelings i hope :toast (unless someone says something really funny/stupid, then i might not beable to stop myself from continuing)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts