Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used a 7 MM mag. for years. Got tired of hogs chasing me. My Browning 7 mil. was so small & fast that the hogs often did not realize they were actually dead. They were very unhappy with me. Decided to try something with more knock down power. Enter the 45/70 Marling 'Guide Gun.' Even without that perfect shot, it drops them in their tracks. Bob :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I have wanted one for some time for the exact same reason.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I first bought my stainless Marlin lever action 45/70 I wanted to try it out before actually hunting with it. I put a target up against a big oak and fired. The target was knocked to the ground and the hole in the oak was as big as a base ball.
I have now been using it for over ten years. It still looks & acts the same as when it was brand new. The 'stopping power' defies the imagination. It plays no games.
Sights like this are common to me:

My Marlin does this on a very regular basis:

I have not been chased since I switched to the 45/70. Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
I shoot a 94AE Winchester chambered in 444 Marlin, its a guild gun as well. you're right, leaves one heck of a hole.

·
Super Moderator
28,618 Posts
Nice shots brother!!!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I really like about the 45/70 is that it does the job even if one does not make that perfect shot. With my 7 mm I have trailed hogs by following lung tissue, never with my 45/70. Not familiar with a 444. How does it compare with the 45/70? Bob

·
Registered
250 Posts
Big thumper just like the 45-70. used to reload for my neighbor years ago. He had both. Slammed a big bear with the 45-70. Hunts deer with the 444. Big heavy bullets put a hurt on them.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
45/70

Sounds good! After being chased a few times that no nonsense big bore stuff is really appreciated. After being shot hogs are definitely not happy campers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not familiar with a 444. How does it compare with the 45/70? Bob
Really similar, 444 is a little flatter trajectory. It was developed to take the place of 45/70's since there were some low pressure receivers made for old 45/70's and ammo manufactures were afraid to put high pressure ammo on the market for liability issues, so a new round was developed. I researched it quite a bit when I was wanting a big bore lever gun and decided on the 444 marlin over - 45/70, 450 Marlin and a few others.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts