Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had a Penn 440ssg for around 2 years now and the antireverse is starting to give out:banghead if i dont have my hand on the handle and set the hook the antireverse will go out, but after i reel forwards several times its fine. ive taken it apart and nothing seems outa the ordinary.

has anybody else had a problem with the ssg series doing this to them also?

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
Brandon, not sure if the 440 is the same. Take the spool off, then take the nut off holding the skirt and bail. Underneath the skirt there is a gear with the anti-reverse locking cog. Looks like a gear tooth with two metal strips that rides on top and bottom of the spool gear. If these parts gets dirty or corroded it usually will stop working. Might want to search a parts breakdown to see for sure.

Skip

·
2019 Hobie outback
2,675 Posts
yeah you need to completey take apart the reel and the anti-reverse part and clean it and grease it up. and check the spring and make sure it isnt broke. had one break on a capitiva and it was doing something like that.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I had the same problem with mine (same reel). I believe the part is called the click tongue/dog. You will see it on the schematic. You can clean it up and it will work for a few minutes, but it will fail again. I finally replaced mine and it's been working ever since. It's about $7 for the assembly.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Part no. 98c on the schematic is the culprit. Take it out and clean it then use something like Corrosion X to lubricate it. Just spray some Corrosion X on a paper towel and run it back and forth over the inside of the sleeve. You don't want to go with a heavy grease on this anti reverse roller.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts