Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used some of my SharkFishing savings, delivered yesterday afternoon via 18 wheeler, finish the registration/insurance next Tuesday. Here is number 1109, new home Pensacola Florida. I’ve wanted one of these since I was 12 yrs old...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Glad you found it and even pulled the trigger on it ! Your bank account is gonna swear you have another boat lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Awesome! I gotta hear the back story...how did you find it and where did it come from?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Very nice. My uncle lives in Daytona and used to have a contract with nascar for setting up cable at most of the southeastern races...he's bought several pace cars from the track over the years, they actually were really great deals. Interested to hear your story as well

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Congrats. A very fitting weekend to take possession of it aswell. I watch a few minutes of the parade yesterday and I think it’s a red and white camaro this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,373 Posts
At least we'll know who is behind the wheel when you take them Sunday drives!!! Congrats on finding your dream....

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As the story goes. Mark and I built one of these cars (a plastic model) when we were kids. Mark blew it up with some cherry bombs. I was upset, he said go get another one. So, I did. it just took a while and this ones bigger... ha ha As the Vets here know, its practically impossible to have a nice car while on active duty, especially the ones that were over seas most of the time. Just because of the shipping and laws wherever you may be stationed.

Anyways, I've been looking off and on for a long time. I'd go look at one when I was interested, It was more than likely a banger, abused, put away wet and all that. My buddy from the Navy called me a couple months ago, and told me there was a silver and black anniversary vette at Leos on W St. I went down and looked, well 90K of hard miles, the inside beat to shit and back... I knew I didn't want to buy someone else's problem... (Been there and done that)….

I get on the internet and search, search. Found three that interested me, One in Florida (Daytona beach area), another in Las Vegas (Wife wanted that one, because she thought it may turn into a trip to Vegas... BABY), and another in Atlanta (Ding, Ding, 5 hour drive....) No way in hell would I ever buy something like this sight unseen.... (I'm a Real Estate Broker, I am a victim of "Creative Photography" almost every day... , I know better...)

The Car in Atlanta sounded to good to be true. It was part of a collection of 18 Vetts from the mid 50's through present time. The family liquidated the collection for personal reasons.

This 1978 Official Pace Car, with 1,592 original miles, (Odometer at delivery, it was 1,572 at first visit), L82 220 HP 3 speed automatic xmission, T tops, power windows door locks, etc..., 9.8 condition out of 10, has been stored under a cover in a climate controlled facility for as long as anyone could remember. I contracted with the local vette expert/dealer for inspections, and all the verifications required (and wanted on something like this). As it would end up, after all the inspections. mechanical and functional. 2 things need repair, in addition I asked them to change ALL fluids, including the rear end, and change out all the hoses and belts, which were shot.... The AC was toast, the seller paid to have that replaced/fixed with a new compressor, and the turn signal stalk was broken at some point over the years… that got replaced as well. Only thing that does not work right now is the analog clock,, and I have to find a 8 track tape to see of the 8 track player works... ha ha other than those 2 items, its a cream puff of a car. Very lucky find and purchase...

The sellers agreed to ship it down to Pensacola in an enclosed car transport 18 wheeler. Very long story, many nervous points, and emails, pictures, PHONCONS, well Its here in Pensacola now. A buddy I sold a home to about 6 years ago worked on these type of cars for 40 years came over yesterday, and confirmed it is as it should be, engine sounds awesome, His words, "Jimmy (He always calls me that.... :) ), I don't think you could have found a better specimen" Just a couple rubbed spots on the silver part on the front bumper, about the size of a dime, from the cover over the years. Nothing that MikeH can't touch up....

The Pensacola Shark Fishing Charter has been very good to me over the years, Only collecting .0035% in interest savings account... (Booo), the most wonderful wife on the planet said "Get it!" BOOM, here are a couple pictures sent to me during the process.... I'd say, it's pretty Clean..... There are a few rubber bushings that need swapped out, but I can do that....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Awesome buddy!!

Reactions: Realtor

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Very, very awesome! Can’t wait to see it person! Does this mean the wife’s camaro gets kicked out of the garage? Lol

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,916 Posts
Very nice! I remember driving a friends 80 Vette. Looking out front over the hood, all I saw was the wheel arches then nothing. Was pretty nervous parking it.

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Very, very awesome! Can’t wait to see it person! Does this mean the wife’s camaro gets kicked out of the garage? Lol

Ha Ha, She's in Vegas right now, The Camaro in currently in the Barn beside the boat while she's gone.... she hasn't even seen this (other than pictures) yet.... It's space is in the empty bay in the barn, where the Camaro is right now.... knowing her, she'd be wanting to take the Vette to work.... :O I sent her this picture..... she asked why I had Jessie (that's the Camaro's name) in the barn...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts