Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again we worked to go fishing on "the day" instead of the Wx and missed it by one reading the other accounts of Monday.

So boat and geared up Sunday morning for the long run from East Bay - left the dock by 0545 and had decent winds from the North which we kept telling ourselves and each other that it was going to die down. The other fellas that joined me, Jerry and Daryl I been overseas with a number of times. Daryl just got back from Afghanistan and has a new baby at home Jerry and I have been literally around the world together. So the day was bound to be good catching up and enjoying old stories.

Figured we'd head for the SouthEast Edge and setup a chum line for BFT and fish for -whatever-. After a bit of a bumpy ride across the bays we turned the corner and headed SE into a stiff North wind. South of the Meeks we were in enough slop that I stopped and fished some ledges for Tirggers and try to put bait (white snapper) - too much wave action to anchor and we caught some triggers and lost a bunch of bait. Neither Jerry or Daryl fish much but Jerry was the bomb at putting 18-20" ARS in the boat!! :banghead In the day we tossed a good 15-20 keepers over the side with only 1 or 2 not making it.

Anyway we discussed the Wx as the sun got warmed up and headed out at a trolling pace ...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2446432816565034967

Then we hit the Brass Wreck and tried that with more ARS making a fine showing. Fished it hard and nothing went in the box.

We were using grouper rigs at this spot and couldn't get the bastards to leave the baits alone. We hung out there for a while and a couple beers tops were loosened. We talked about heading North and fooling around the timberholes just South of Navarre but the WX "tricked" us and acted like it was dieing down some so I rigged the HighSpeed troling lures and we hit the NAV button for the SE edge. 30 mins later we were on it showing a good fuzz - but hte wind had picked up some and kept creeping up. First hook set "sucked" one of worst to date as the Tide was ripping West and I had only figured the 15-20mph North wind. Showed the guys how to make use of the anchor ball we reset. Started to drop baits and I put some more white snappers in the well for later use. Had the guys put a Livie on and butterflied for grouper and sent it down. Daryl had a great bite but got to the rocks then flipper showed up.

I hate dolphins. Cool critters but the m-f-ers ate at least 6-8 white snappers as we were dropping them on a knocker rig as baits. Run the drag off a slow steady mid depth then pull the bait off.... :nonono then again - I thought the first couple were missed AJ's then after 4-5 it became obvious that the SOB's were waiting for the drop and following. That pissed everybody in the boat off and we didn't catch a thing or it got ate between the bottom and boat. With the sideways current and strong winds a call was made to cut the losses and head North to calm waters. We ran in nice and had a beautiful cruse along the beaches and bullshitted about all kinds of stuff enjoying a great Nov day with buddies. Turned the corner after trying to find the Cathern for about 10 mins - never saw a glimpse of the wreck.

Anyway a couple questions on Ocean Man's post about the SE Edge - well here's a view of it.

Had a great day with guys I've been out there with and really quite a lovely day.

One thing I hope I never get tired of is seeing the sun come up on a day with the promise and hope it brings to me and my friends.

I've had better fishing days but this is just one I really enjoyed. We were back so early and didn't have to clean fish for two hours that I forgot to post {back} on the float plan. - Sorry.

:mmmbeer

Stressless

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Good report Bob. Yes it is great to see the sun break the horizon in the morning. I love it also. Yes it's not always putting fish in the box, but time with friends is really what it's about. The best fishing days are not only the ones that you have to clean fish for a hour. Was glad to see you were home when I called. Like the pictures, and you made enough loops aroundBrass Wreck, to make aNascar driver dizzy.

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Looked like a fun day out on the water Bob:clap Nice bread crumb trail too,looked like ya dropped your keys overboard:letsdrink

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, the drifts over the Brass Wreck with the wind that high was hard to manage and the waves were big enough I didn't want to try and back into it hard enough to hold in place.

:mmmbeer

Stressless

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Great report Bob, with that kind of current and wind it must have been damn near impossible to get those white's down fast enough to keep flipper away.:banghead Glad you guys were able to get out.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Good report Stressless. Its always fun to get out on the water with old buddies. You should have stayed out at the edge, it started to calm off as soon as you left and was near smooth by the end of the day.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Southeast edge. I fish the timberholes a lot in the winter but have never ventured out to the edge. We were fishing the edge about two miles from the Oriskany in 250-260 feet of water. Lots of Jacks in the thirty pound range and some schools of blackfin were busting up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts