Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great day today! Worked until 11pm last night, up at 5am, don't think I even slept, but then again, can anyone sleep the night before they go fishing? Anyway, my father inlaw is in town from Colorado and has never been fishing, so my buddy "Capt." Ron took us out. On the boat and on our way by 6am. Pretty foggy this morning but we got through it.However, instead of fishing for Cobia first we decided to hit the Russian so we can hook dad up. Fog cleared up and we were there, second boat to arrive and first to get anchor set. Yeah, go figure, on a Saturday! Can anyone guess what we caught...Bingo, the ever elusive Red Snapper. I had 3 nice Lane Snapper each around 14 inches so those were dinner. I thought I'd never get a chance to catch a Red Snapper since they're so close to being endangered. They were pretty good size too. Fishing was going great, even when two other boats showed up. Seemed like all of us were catching fish consistantly. Then came the dive boat. Dr. Dive showed up with his group and down they went. After being anchored there for at least an hour, we suddenly started drifting so we had to re-anchor. Then the fish stopped biting and our boat was surrounded in bubbles. I had my line down at the time and all of a sudden my rod bowed over, tugged for a few seconds and let go,came up empty. I stopped fishingfor a while since the divers had clearly moved right under our boat and the other boats as well. Then I noticed the guys right behind us, one had been bowed up for a while, another guy was looking over the front of the boat, then a diver appeared. Oops, wrong boat buddy. Two divers surfaced right next to the guys boat while he was bowed up on a fish. Once we saw that we decided to head inshore and try for some Cobia. Tried for a while but ran out of time. We had to take our kids to a birthday party so we called it a day. I'll try again next Saturday. In all it was a great day and Ron and I got to treat my father inlaw to his first fishing experience.

As far as the dive boat is concerned, I must say I am a bit dissapointed. Not mad, just dissapointed. I have read so many stories about fishermen and divers wanting respect from each other and their right to wrecks and such. However, it's very hard for me to respect divers when I see what wenton today. Nothing could spoil a day like today, so we all left very happy, just have to shake our heads in disbelief.

Happy fishing everyone :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
great report .sorry to hear about the experiance with the divers. when i have been fishing around divers they seem to be pretty good about giving us space but were all bound to have a less than enjoyable runin from time to time .
I am sure they have the same to say about a few anglers at times.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
When diver start around my boat It's time to start jigging with 5oz diamond jigs, just cast them out and jig like hell ! they run the fish off so you might as well catch some thing !!!
If they have no respect I just return the actions

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
I think the gentleman handled the situation correctly. One thing to remember is that he was on the Russian Freighter one of the most public, well known dive and fishing spots here. Charters are set up for certain spots sometimes weeks in advance. would you like to be a paying customer and told when you arrive on a common dive spot that we have to move because there are fisherman here? As for the Jigger to catch fish or divers as he implied, is a stupid remark and could get you in trouble. Private spots are a different matter if you are fishing one weather or not you built it it should be your spot to fish until you leave it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Sounds like overall a good day. I find that most divers are disrespectful of fisherman and have total disregard for whose at the spot already. Sure they have a right to the same spot but we all know it screws everyone else around them fishing. Go find another spot divers because I sure don't stop if I see you down there diving.

·
Registered
76 Posts
At least the divers from the Viking were better about going to the right boat!One good thing about the divers is it's a good way to see the orientation of the wreck. Also it might have been a coincidence but the bite turned on after the divers were down for a bit. Its nice to see some snapper that you can actually keep, but those reds provide some quality catch and release too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have actually fished next to the Viking before on a rough day at the Russian, just us and them all day and they did respect us and gave us plenty of room. We caught fish all day and they,I am sure, enjoyed their day.The Viking is ok in my book. They pulled up just as we left. You would think there would be requirements for dive captains to use a certain colored rope so divers know which boat to go to, or maybe there should be blackout days for divers and fishermen on certain wrecks. Just a thought, even though it would add to the already too many regulations as it is. In my mind it's like an elevator. When the door opens and it's full do you cram in there with everyone else? I wait for the next one, or wait for someone to get off. But even if one gets off, it could still be too full.Perhaps that same common sense should be used in situations like Saturday. If there are 4-5 boats on a wreck, maybe wait until 1 or 2 leave. I wonder if dive captains have private numbers. Oh well, like I said I was not mad, no point in that, but we all know there are some people in this area that would not have been so nice. Just a reminder for the divers out there.

Happy fishing everyone, oh yeah, and diving :)

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
amarcafina (18/04/2010)When diver start around my boat It's time to start jigging with 5oz diamond jigs,just cast them out and jig like hell ! they run the fish off so you might as well catch some thing !!!
If they have no respect I just return the actions
Amarcafina, Do you know what a 3 band spear gunshaft would do to the bottom of your boat when you pull up a diver from Jigging for him. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts