Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my son (who is down from Pittsburgh for Chrsitmas) out for a night of fishing after we had cleaned up from the Christmas Day festivities. That seemed to be the best time according to old man weather to head out. Put in at 17th st. Not as many trout as in the past few weeks but still schools of slot reds hanging around pilings. Outgoing tide was moving pretty strong. Used 3/4 oz jigheads with DOA CAL bodies on them- dark purpleish- and that seemed to work well. went all the way out past the first small hump to the big hump and back. On the way we ran into several reds and got 4 bulls to the boat. Great night of fishing!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Looks like an awesome night...you guys are making me jealous...great pics....:bowdown :bowdown ....maybe I will be able to get out this weekend

·
Registered
706 Posts
I think academy has those floats, I sure could of used one awhile back after a snapper swam off with mine. He was wearing some nice hardware though.:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Certainly was a great night. I have been waiting for months to get my son down here to get him on something better than a ladyfish! I lost my last boga grip to a grouper and a friend who was down tofr the weekend. I told him it was a gift from my dad just before he died and I have had it for years!! I told him the truth within a few minutes- I could not stand the lie. Anyway, here is the link to where I got the next boga grip and the float.

http://www.boga-grip.com/float/float.html

When do the Reds leave 3mb for the season?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Good to hear the reds are still out there. Great pics and report. Thanks for posting.

I was out there yesterday and only caught trout. Has anyone done any good catching Reds at 3MB during the day?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was out there yesterday too and only ran into trout. I was just wondering the same thing- are the reds there during the day or are you better off hitting them at night?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was at the 3mb on friday night the 20th. Caught a bunch of trout and 1 big 40" Red. I caught him on a live trout about 8-10" long. I was by myself and just got a couple of crappy pics. on my phone! Fished from 7 p.m. til 11:30 p.m. got a trout bite just about every cast. It was so calm out there, you could have spit in the water and the ripple from it would have gone a mile! What a great night of fishing

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have not caught any Reds during the day at 3MB, only at night. The trout seem to hit day or night. Not sure if it is true for everyone but that is my experiences. Just make sure your in the lights and work your boat around till your fish finder picks up a few. Where there are trout then the reds are there as well.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That has been my experience as well. I am going to hit that bridge and use the same night time technique until it stops producing. The key for me has been what you have mentioned- mobility and trout. move around, find trout, find reds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts