Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide wether i should build a 300blk AR or buy a Ruger American ranch. My main reason is for suppressed hunting.

Any opinions here? Ultimately I am sure I will end up with both but going back and forth on the SBR.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Bolt is quieter since you don't have the sound of the action cycling. If multiple targets are not expected then I would also recommend bolt gun. If hog hunting suppressed then I think I would build a 10.5" AR pistol with a Sig brace.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It really depends on what you want to do?!?!?!?

Buddy just got in "can" out of jail and we have been talking about suppressed hunting.

If you're looking to one shot one kill. Bolt gun will get the job done the quietest. But if you plan to drop one then spray and pray the escapee's, you will need a semi auto platform.

Neither will be quiet enough to just kill the whole heard one at a time while they are munching corn or what ever food source they are working on. Hit or miss they will be running even with sub sonic ammo.

Another friend runs night hunts with night vision and "cans". He choose 7.62X39 AR's (his lowers use AK mags) because they see uncle charlie fall over...something's wrong and they are outta there. He wanted something that hits a bit harder for the escapee's!

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I have both! It's just money.... bolt is quieter for sure...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Somebody help me out on the pistol thing. Is that a SBR or a work around for the SBR?

I will ultimately end up with both I am sure but trying to priortize right now.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Somebody help me out on the pistol thing. Is that a SBR or a work around for the SBR?

I will ultimately end up with both I am sure but trying to priortize right now.
That is a KAK Shockwave blade... technically not a stock, so considered a pistol. According to a letter the atf put out last week, as long as the length of pull is less than 13.5", and the stock is not permanently attached (don't locktite the set screw) you can legally shoulder the weapon.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a KAK Shockwave blade... technically not a stock, so considered a pistol. According to a letter the atf put out last week, as long as the length of pull is less than 13.5", and the stock is not permanently attached (don't locktite the set screw) you can legally shoulder the weapon.

In your opinion, is the SBR route even worth going? I am not wild about the fit of any AR style stock/brace/etc so I can't see get to wrapped around needing a certain stock to stay legal.
After doing some reading, it seems to me the route to go is AR Pistol but I am no expert and could be missing something.

Biggest problem I am having is now, I need another suppressor. I may suck it up and get a dedicated rifle suppressor and pay the money for the SBR.........F!!! :mad:

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
In your opinion, is the SBR route even worth going? I am not wild about the fit of any AR style stock/brace/etc so I can't see get to wrapped around needing a certain stock to stay legal.
After doing some reading, it seems to me the route to go is AR Pistol but I am no expert and could be missing something.

Biggest problem I am having is now, I need another suppressor. I may suck it up and get a dedicated rifle suppressor and pay the money for the SBR.........F!!! :mad:
Depends... a true SBR is awesome to shoot. Nothing beats the feel of a real deal adjustable stock.

That being said, the SBR does require a bit more legal mumbo jumbo... legally, to take an SBR out of state, you have to fill out a form 20 every year and submit it to the ATF (I have no experience with this personally, but everyone I know says it's very easy) you have to state when you will be traveling (most people just say Jan. 1- Dec. 31) and what states you will be travelling to.

Also with an SBR, since it is technically not a pistol anymore, it can not be concealed... like with my AR pistol, it does behind the passenger seat in my truck for easy access, particularly on road trips.

That being said, for $200, I think it is worth it to SBR at least one lower.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A little late but something else to coincided is ability to reload. I have the 300 blk in an AR and love it but it is a lot harder to keep up with brass when your not shooting on a bench. Also your Ruger American is probably going to save you some money in MOST cases too when purchasing your gun. Good look

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts