Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a 300blk for a while now and was fortunate to buy plenty of ammo at a very reasonable price. How is the blackout on a hog. What ammo should I use 220gr subsonic, or 115-125gr super sonic. I don't for see a shot over 50-60 yards...Frank I know it ain't a 6.8 but I have lots of respect for your opinion...;)

·
twiceRetired Serve No One
4,331 Posts
not frank here but I have been involved with this caliber since its inception= last year! / yes the 300BO is less than 2 years old officially

our problem right now is the sub sonics pass right through without opening up so I would say go supersonic because a Hog can be more than you bargain for.

when they prefect this new cartridge to open up reliably and deliver its over 500+ ft/Lbs of energy quickly you will have a winner.
that new design will come very soon as this cartridge is here to stay

Attachments

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Email sent, Dixie, Thanks good info hisname, my first pick was the sub until you posted. I've also got 125gr, and 115gr.

BUMP!

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just ordered some 150gr corbon's for ole girl I think I'll try it on 'em:thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,081 Posts
MH, Thanks for that but I am not a 300BO guy and really have no idea. Sounds like hisname got you covered. Good luck guys!

·
Banned
1,543 Posts
My 5.56 works just fine on hogs...even with ball ammo.

The 300 BO was developed to be a suppressed cartridge. It was essentially abandoned by the military - so the proponents have turned to marketing hype for civilians to make the sale.

It's over-rated and the job can be done (better) with other conventional loads... JMHO :whistling:

·
twiceRetired Serve No One
4,331 Posts

The 300 BO was developed to be a suppressed cartridge. It was essentially abandoned by the military - so the proponents have turned to marketing hype for civilians to make the sale.

It's over-rated and the job can be done (better) with other conventional loads... JMHO :whistling:
have to disagree. no .223FMJ with less energy than any 30 cal will stop a hog more efficiently.
I do agree there are better calibers such as the .50

I think where the 300BO shines is the fact I can take out a thug who invades my home without disturbing the neighbors or bothering the local prescient!
Instead I can notify the sheriffs office when they open in the morning and have them bring out the coroner while I make a pot of fresh coffee

Attachments

·
Banned
3,081 Posts

Yep Scuba, the only place the 300BO works as advertised is as a suppressed and subsonic rd.(and they're are better options that case too) but the hype on it continues for our civilian market, they gotta sell them somewhere! At least they will have a lower to pin on a good upper...LOL

Sorry 300 fanboys, don't hate, JMHO

·
Registered
259 Posts
It was essentially abandoned by the military - so the proponents have turned to marketing hype for civilians to make the sale.
Didn't that happen to the 6.8 too?

Seems like both rounds have some things to offer but they weren't enough for big MIL to have deal with in small numbers for their SF guys or change everyone's rifle over.

·
Banned
3,081 Posts
No Dixie, the Marines wanted and recommended the conversion to the 6.8 but the Army said they could not afford the conversion, they still wanted it. The Isralies are getting what would have been our 6.8's and Federal is ramping up to make the ammo specifically for them...Now THEY know what works best...just fewer for them to pay for than us.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I never said the military thought the 6.8 was a crap round. I commented that they abandoned the 6.8 because of the cost involved with the swap.

Is that not correct Frank?

·
Banned
1,543 Posts
I think some security contractors in the sand box have been using 50 Beowulf to disable vehicles... Now THAT is a round I like! Good for bustin' hogs too - but I still put as many down with 5.56 ball as I can since it is cheaper...

·
Banned
3,081 Posts
I did not mean to imply that Dixie if that is what you thought, sorry. I don't thing any of them are crap rds, they each have their place and use. For my use the 6,8 was the deal, if you want a semi-auto 30-30 you get the 7.62 or the 300BO and to make the 300 even more useful you suppress it. In FL you cannot hunt w a suppressor like TX and other states can for all game, wish we could.

So to be clear, If you want it use it, all 3 will do the job you want if you use the correct ammo and know the limitations. actually I would own all 3 if I could afford them.

·
Banned
3,081 Posts
Yeah they had it over at the 6.8F but as you can see it is an all new weapon. Not for the 5.56 lower, different mags ammo and almost completely proprietary, now why have 2 specs on the 6.8? I thought that was all over when we went from the SPC to the SPCII, I don't see it as anything but special order. Now in the battle field where are you going to get mags and ammo? Please tell me why, someone, anyone?

·
Banned
1,543 Posts
That's why the Garand ended up being chambered in .30-06 rather than .276 - existing stock of ammo in Army inventory...

·
Registered
572 Posts
No Dixie, the Marines wanted and recommended the conversion to the 6.8 but the Army said they could not afford the conversion, they still wanted it. The Isralies are getting what would have been our 6.8's and Federal is ramping up to make the ammo specifically for them...Now THEY know what works best...just fewer for them to pay for than us.
Do you have a reputable link to this? For some reason I doubt the veracity of these claims and feel that they are internet rumor. At the very least some tiny special Israeli agency or department may have picked up 6.8, but I doubt its going to replace the Tavor.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts