Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an opinion? I'm looking at buying a 12". Is there enough difference in energy vs the 9" to go with the longer barrel. It will be used for hunting.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I forget all I read too but it seems that the general consensus is that it burns all its powder in a 10" barrel. I built my pistol with a 8.5" Ballistic Advantage barrel. One reason I went that short is so I could conceal it easier if I ever feel the need. 5.56/.223 is really neutered in a short barrel but .300 was designed for a short barrel.

·
Super Moderator
12,802 Posts
12" is fine, but you will have to build it in pistol configuration unless you plan to form 1 it...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input after multiple articles and videos I'm going with a 10.5 inch in a pistol configuration. It's crazy that you can buy a complete ar for 400 but have trouble staying under 1000 building a pistol.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
you need 10" for a full powder burn in the x39 so I am thinking the 300 is close to that 9-10.5". Now if you will be suppressing the longer the better as some manufacturers want 10" or better.

·
Super Moderator
12,802 Posts
8" is what you need for full powder burn... mine is 8.3"

·
Super Moderator
12,802 Posts
That looks more like a rifle than a pistol. I was thinking it was a handgun.
By definition it is classified as a pistol (kak shockwave blade is technically not a stock)

·
Super Moderator
12,802 Posts
Can you deer hunt with it? How accurate is it out to 100 yards?
Absolutely. As long as you abide by the 5 round mag rule for semi. Golf ball size groups at 100. Lethal out to 200

·
Registered
211 Posts
Anyone have an opinion? I'm looking at buying a 12". Is there enough difference in energy vs the 9" to go with the longer barrel. It will be used for hunting.
Do you plan to shoot subs or supersonic rounds? Do you plan to put a suppressor? If you never plan to put a suppressor then there can be some slight advantage to the 12" depending on the rounds you plan to use. I have an AAC 300 SBR 9' and AAC suppressor (stamp collector) and it handles both subs and supers with no issues ever. AAC designed the round (sort of) and they sell in 9" and 12" if that tells you anything. The 9" was the SBR/suppressor design from the beginning.

Legal to hunt with silenced rifles here in AL now. Not sure that I think 300 is a great hunting round though. It was designed with different intentions. They are easy to load but not a lot of powder and bullet options out there for subs. You can cut down standard 556 cases for 300. Be very careful to keep separated from your 223/556 stuff if you have any - plenty of blown-up receivers from that mistake.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts