Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting the Barnes 150gr hollow point in my 30-30. I have shot 2 deer with them. 1 at 30 yrds and she dropped in her tracks. The other I shot at 50 yrds and had to trail her about 90 yards on my hands and knees. The problem I have with them is they don't leave a good blood trail to follow if they run. The entrance and exit hole were about the size of my little finger and the spots of blood were way smaller. Both deer were shot in the shoulder. I can drive nails with these but I'm tired of trailing deer on my knees. Does anyone have any experience with any of the 30-30 bullets that will punch a bigger hole?

·
Registered
161 Posts
In my experience some deer just have more endurance than others. That one you had track was a high enduranced deer lol. I've had a 160 lb 8 point drop and a 90 lb doe run hundreds of yards. I've started to aim for neck shots, they drop 90% of the time. 180 gr for 30-30 isn't a bad of an idea, it may be overkill , but it'll give you some blood, no doubt. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
28,608 Posts
Neck shots under 100 yards.....I'd punch just behind the shoulder so it leaves a good exit. or in he shoulder but placed so the exit is past the shoulder through the ribs....

·
Registered
191 Posts
I always used Winchester 150gr powerpoints in my marlin 30-30. Always grouped well and made a nice big exit hole. Sounds like your projectile isn't expanding much if any. I would switch to a regular old softpoint. Probably cost a lot less as well

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your advice. I think the problem is the barnes bullets don't expand like they should. I will go back to the core lockets I guess. I figure I would try something new but tried and true is better.

·
Super Moderator
19,902 Posts
Barnes are made for big game. They are a harder bullets that need more than a little Florida deer to expand and do its thing. I've had real good success with Hornady Leverolutions.

·
Senior Yakker
2,768 Posts
There's always hollow points. They do a little TOO much damage though. I was in the same boat you are once and decided to go with the hp's...a shoulder shot on an average sized doe left nothing but gumbo from entrance to exit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts