Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm with Harry and Xanadu on this. I'm a mixed bag- mostly Penns. Durability, replaceable parts, ease of use. Unfortunately we have peps on this forum that will comment without really knowing. I've looked at some profiles and some of these guys offering are not even 20 years old. Now some of you may say, what difference does age make. Well- it's called wisdom and experience over 30 years of fishing- something that Xanadu and Harry both have.

Besides, people use different reels for different reasons for different fishing. Just like you use different utensils/appliances in the kitchen. The initial post question needs to be defined. Are we talking 'if you were stranded on a island' or are we talking specific fish targets. Obviously I'm using different tackle if I'm fishing flounder than if I'm trolling deep.

Dollar for dollar, pound for pound- Penn for me.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Harry Brosofsky (11/4/2007)Penn if you are considering only unimportant things like gear strength, drag quality and consistency, finish, etc. Shimano if you are only looking at marketing hype ;-)

Harry

um penn, if your looking for something cheap, rough, an heavy

shimano, light, best quality, super smooth, better casting, last alot longer !

ive had a penn an it lasted 3 months now i have to manually put my bail down... it doesnt catch on the roller so i try to set hook an it loses fish, an it heavy an 3 fat women on a tricycle.....

hands down for shimano

·
Registered
213 Posts
haha there talking about fish caught... i caught a 20# on my stradic 2500 with half a spool or less of power pro........i just locked the drag an held on.... an penn would have stripped the gears an made an loud sound...like

BOOM!:hoppingmad

·
Registered
232 Posts
AUBuilder Hetalks about marketing type for Shimano, but send us straightto an online merchant's catalog to support his argument. :dohSeems kinda fishy to me. If that site was a consumer report type site I might take that info seriously,unfortunately that is from Penn I'm guessing who is just trying to pettle their product with online merchants and catalogs just like everyone else. Not an "authoritative source for unbiased analysis" if you ask me.
That merchant stopped selling Shimano due to unfair business practices, like price fixing, forcing him to buy specific inventory, etc., as well as customer complaints.His site is an e-commercesite thatis NOT sponsored by Penn. It has nothing to do with Penn, other than selling Penn (along with Accurate, Avet, Newell, and others). The photos speak for themselves. BTW, he speaks very highly of some of the other brands he sells and calls a spade a spade on the Penn stuff.

Harry

61 - 65 of 65 Posts