Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I wasn't saying it meant anything, I was just simply correcting chickenbone. If you want to talk about tuna fishing everyone I know in Venice uses shimano's or Fin Nor's.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Freespool If you want to talk about tuna fishing everyone I know in Venice uses shimano's or Fin Nor's.
I don't doubt that, but then again, I doubt you know everybody who fishes in Venice, so that's not much of a statistic.

Anyway, I'm hitting the rack..thanks againfor trying on the menhaden.

Harry

·
Registered
962 Posts
Harry Brosofsky (11/4/2007)
VS200B (11/4/2007)i'd fish with a zebco for before i picked up a penn.
I guess you better start picking up Penns then...you do fish with a Zebco already. Van Staal isowned by W.C. Bradley Co now, which assigned Van Staal to its Zebco Subsidiary.

http://www.vanstaal.com/About.html

Harry

im sure him and i know that...how many van staals have you sold in your life? lol

we know just about everything about a van staal.

·
Registered
232 Posts
alum maverick im sure him and i know that...how many van staals have you sold in your life? lol we know just about everything about a van staal.
What does selling or knowing everything about Van Staals have to do with whether Penn, Shiman, or Diawa is the best reel? Or about whether he made a silly remark abot sooner fishing a Zebco than a Penn?

Harry

·
Registered
319 Posts
To each his own but I just sold 5 Penn International 50's and purchased Shimano Tyrnos to replace them. A little lighter capability but agreat high-speed retrieve and drag system on this reel. I believe these reels will handle anything I am likely to catch in the Gulf and are a lot more versatile than the bulky 50's.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Harry Brosofsky (11/4/2007)I'm not talking about toy reels. I'm talking about serious offshore gear. See the attachments...the larger gears and shafts are Penn, the smaller are Shimano. See http://charkbait.com/cs/csrp.htmfor more comparisons between Penn and Shimano. The hype is on all the online merchants and catalogs.

Harry
Hetalks about marketing type for Shimano, but send us straightto an online merchant's catalog to support his argument. :doh

Seems kinda fishy to me. If that site was a consumer report type site I might take that info seriously,unfortunately that is from Penn I'm guessing who is just trying to pettle their product with online merchants and catalogs just like everyone else. Not an "authoritative source for unbiased analysis" if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Freespool (11/4/2007)
alum maverick (11/4/2007)shimano i got a stella two stradics and a torium 30 and a van staal use to have a penn sold it.

shimano

and are we talking inshore reels or bigger off shore reels in not a big fan on the bigger shimanos...ill take a penn 7500 over a shimano shperos or thunnus any day.

But a Tiagra beats the hell out of an international.

Bullshit. The Penn V series is a better reel than the Shimanos. You can go on and on about smooth, but the fact is the Penn is smoother. It starts smoother when cold or hot - actually, the Penn starts the same. The Penn is beefier built with stronger and better parts inside. The Penn finish is heads and tails better than the Shimano though the S reels have improved over older ones. Shimano still employs the hydrothermal drag thingy which if you don't understand it please refrain from posting about the reels compared to Penn. The only area I could say Shimano is better than Penn in the International V vs Shimano A series is the handle and then only a little bit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Well the majority of my reels are shimano and the majority of the reels i have ever used were shimanos, but lately i have had the most trouble out of em. 2 stradics, not working properly, 4 catala 300's out of the box broke within 10 minutes. My cousin in louisiana bought a torsa 30 and the first time he used it the lever drag system wouldn't engage after the first fish. So i am at least a little skeptical at this point

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Freespool (11/4/2007)I don't know any good billfish guys that fish with penns, Tiagras and TLD's all the way.

Well, how about me. I own plenty of Shimanos, but only when they are the best. You've been sold a bill of goods my friend. Oh, and btw, how many billfish you caught this year? Anyway, the fact is they're both good. Accurates are even better if you can afford them and afford to baby and maintain them. Either will get the job done, but the V series Penn is the better reel. No doubt and you'd be hard pressed to find someone with technical knowledge to argue differently.

Now, back a few years ago, the Tiagra was better. Penn's were the old news and many guys started with Shimanos. No problem, they were better, but if you go look now you'll see that changing, but the difference is small enough that isn't so important. That said, go find 10 guys who have blown up or locked up trolling reels on fish and I will bet that 70% of them have been Shimanos. They are notorious for having drag plate screws come loose inside if you didn't know.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Shimano reels are (for the most part) smoother, Penn reels are (for the most part) cheaper, more durable (can withstand much more abuse).

Sky

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
LuckyLady (11/5/2007)To each his own but I just sold 5 Penn International 50's and purchased Shimano Tyrnos to replace them. A little lighter capability but agreat high-speed retrieve and drag system on this reel. I believe these reels will handle anything I am likely to catch in the Gulf and are a lot more versatile than the bulky 50's.

If that is the case, then you had the wrong reels for your application anyway. Should have gone with the X series internationals though.

·
Super Moderator
5,950 Posts
I've used Penn, Shimano, Accurate, VanStall and a few others. Shimano and Penn for the most part. Hard to beat a 4,6 or 9/0 Penn for bottom fishing for the most part. I personally don't see buying a 500.00 reel for a jack or grouper. Caught plenty on the old stand by's. Ease of use and able to take serious abuse sets the 4/0, 6/0 and 9/0 aside for that. I have had a Accurate tear up in my own hands at the lumps. I have see the Tiagra lock up with the drag screw and plat Hal is talking about. I have totally destroyed a Penn 50VSW on a big blue. Only advice I have? Fish with what you are comfortable with. I have seen plenty of fish come to the boat. I have seen good performance on all the above reels. I personally like the Tiagras for trolling. My preference. I know all have good and badpoints. Fish what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Penn! Their spinning reels don't have all the cute pretty littlegold painted plastic parts on them like Shimano, but if you are looking for a reel to match your rims on your car, truckor boat trailer....:poke

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
AUBuilder (11/5/2007)
Harry Brosofsky (11/4/2007)I'm not talking about toy reels. I'm talking about serious offshore gear. See the attachments...the larger gears and shafts are Penn, the smaller are Shimano. See http://charkbait.com/cs/csrp.htmfor more comparisons between Penn and Shimano. The hype is on all the online merchants and catalogs.

Harry

Hetalks about marketing type for Shimano, but send us straightto an online merchant's catalog to support his argument. :doh

Seems kinda fishy to me. If that site was a consumer report type site I might take that info seriously,unfortunately that is from Penn I'm guessing who is just trying to pettle their product with online merchants and catalogs just like everyone else. Not an "authoritative source for unbiased analysis" if you ask me.

I wouldn't say Charkbait is propaganda, but there is a history. Shimano tells dealers what to sell their products for. This is clearly illegal, but never enforced, but Shimano evidently got POd at them for discounting their items and threatened to cut them off so, from what I know, Charkbait told them to go to hell. Since then, he's been firmly anti-Shimano, but their site does present the facts.

For some reason, people have become obsessed with smooth. Whoever marketed smooth was a genius, but as far as OFFSHORE TROLLING REELS are concerned, Penn is smoother. I'm talking about the newest lines from Shimano and Penn, the A and V series respectively. Penn starts up smoother and the drags are consistent within the temperature range. Shimano reels need to be warmed up or they have a higher start up inertia. This is FACT borne out by the manufacturer studies and even our own first hand experience.

FYI: when we set Shimano drags cold, we make Trip or one of the young guys run the dock a couple times to get them warm. If you don't do that, you'll end up with drags set too low. On Penn V series reels, the settings are the same. FACT. If you're setting drags when its super hot and your reels might have been in a hot truck, watch out - you can get the drags set so bad that you break fish off later that night when the reel is cold - WE DID THAT THIS SUMMER! RIGHT WADE?

Anyone here who is reading this who actually wants to know the deal, take the time to look at a set of Shimano plans and read their literature. You want to know about the "Hydrothermal Drag" adjustment feature. In short, this is a liquid filled cylinder that supposedly expands to increase pressure on the drag plates as the reel heats up. This is to combat what they refer to as "Drag Fade" during a long fight. This item is pure engineering BS and the former president of Shimano America quit over it saying they were selling techno sizzle instead of steak. But their hydrothermal drag thingy tells us something very important. Shimano drags are inconsistent under heat. They fade according to their own literature to the point that they engineered a tiny shock absorber to adjust for you. In my mind, that is BS. Penn's drags don't do that and they don't have some tiny liquid fired shock absorber sitting in your reel like a tiny time bomb waiting to explode or worse - tamper with your drag setting.

What if it leaks oil onto the drag plates? - lost fish.

What if it overcompensates? - lost fish.

What if its total BS? marketing hype.

What if you don't want your drag adjusted and prefer to use the lever and be in control - buy Penn.

Anyway, if the people arguing about this who obviously don't know the difference would take the time, I think they would change their minds. Oh, and one more thing, the "Pro teams" you see fishing Shimanos are sponsored, but most of them have the reels blue-printed and the Hydrothermal Drag crap removed.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
unless anyone here owns stock in a company, or buildsthe reels at the plant, there's no reason to get so upset. I recently sold all of my Penn 50 wides and will be replacing them with shimano TLD 50 wides. They may not be as durable as the metal penns, but for standup (which is what I do)- the weight is much better. I have caught a blue on a TLD 25 with no problem, and500+ #blue on a Penn 30wide with no problems. It's really an application and personal preference issue. They are both quality reels, IMO.

·
Praedator
10,164 Posts
Where's the debate about the hot pink Barbie reel. I think I like that one better than all the rest. :banghead:banghead:banghead

41 - 60 of 65 Posts