Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ditto...nothing but Penns in my quiver and all of them on Chaos rods. Life's too short and gas too expensive tochance a lost fish withanything else.

Harry

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Harry Brosofsky (11/4/2007)Penn if you are considering only unimportant things like gear strength, drag quality and consistency, finish, etc. Shimano if you are only looking at marketing hype ;-)

Harry

Marketing hype? I dont think I have ever seen a Shimano add OR commecial. Seen plenty of Penn adds...

I was recently on a charter with some pretty old looking shimano's that were fairly neglected looking and they performaed flawlessly. I had a new in the box penn that rattled when you shook it. I took it back, tested all of them on the shelf. SAME!!! I traded up to the next model and STILL THE SAME!!! Rattles. Penns are like harleys. Tough, but old and behind the times.

AS for the gear strenght and drag. I have never had a problem with Shimano. As a matter of fact. I have only ever had 2 reelsget guttedon me in my life. One was a $30 Seahawk spinner combo and the other was a Penn 109. Both on 4-5ft sharks. Last year I caught two 4 footers on a crappy non-saltwater Diawa Sweepfire-A 2500 that I bought 2 for $20!! It still works fine and was fishing with it this afternoon, as a matter of fact.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm not talking about toy reels. I'm talking about serious offshore gear. See the attachments...the larger gears and shafts are Penn, the smaller are Shimano. See http://charkbait.com/cs/csrp.htmfor more comparisons between Penn and Shimano. The hype is on all the online merchants and catalogs.

Harry

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
:Flipbird thats for the crack at harleys and for me its almost exclusively penn, mix in a flueger or two and a us reel

·
Super Moderator
13,078 Posts
i know... penns (and mitchells) just happen to break often... i blew up 3 penn 706'z and a mitchell 302 in less than 2 weeks... apperently hooking 100lb tarpon on them isn't a smart thing to do.

·
Registered
782 Posts
penn is now owned by k-2. thats why all your new captivas and silverados are so shakespeare-ish. i am waiting to see how that new shakespeare 80w holds up. that should be bad-ass!!!:clap:usaflag

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Harry Brosofsky (11/4/2007)I'm not talking about toy reels. I'm talking about serious offshore gear. See the attachments...the larger gears and shafts are Penn, the smaller are Shimano. See http://charkbait.com/cs/csrp.htmfor more comparisons between Penn and Shimano. The hype is on all the online merchants and catalogs.

Harry
No previous reference was was made by you or the orignal poster to "serious offshore reels" But since "toy" reels probably make up 99% of the reels sold, it would be logical to assume that we are talking about ALL reels accross the board. Bigger stronger gears mean nothing when you arent brweaking the weak ones. I have never heard of anyone stripping a TLD or a Torium. This reel has big strong gears too, but that doesn't mean I would want to fish with it.

·
Super Moderator
13,078 Posts
i agree with nomosurf...

hey Freespool!... didn't you catch a 88lb hooter on a tld30?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
getbent (11/4/2007):Flipbird thats for the crack at harleys and for me its almost exclusively penn, mix in a flueger or two and a us reel
It wasn't a crack against Harley. TheyARE old and out of date technology. Harley tried getting with the times with that sportbike with the porsche designed engine. Harley peoople make fun of them. They love there old style Harleys. Thats what makes them endearing to those that love them. same for Penns I guess. The whole arguement is mute. Everyone will have VERY strong opinions on the product that they use, and no internet bash fest will change that for anyone. I love my shimano's, I have penns and like them ok, and will continue to use them... until they break:doh

I'm going to bed now. I'm tired from playing with my "toys" all day. :letsdrink And 4:30 comes really early. :boo

·
Registered
397 Posts
back in the day my dad bought a penn 450 it seized up the first week. we still use some Penn's mostly 706's and 706z's for surf fishing and from the pier but for inshore we use stradics and i use a stradic MgFa model it works fine its my 3rd stradic 4000 and im not switching till i find something better maybe a stella if they get cheaper

·
Registered
232 Posts
whipper snapper penn is now owned by k-2. thats why all your new captivas and silverados are so shakespeare-ish. i am waiting to see how that new shakespeare 80w holds up. that should be bad-ass!!!:clap:usaflag
True, but moot...I didn't say I'd sooner fish a Shakespeare before I fished a Penn.

NoMoSurf (11/4/2007) I have never heard of anyone stripping a TLD or a Torium.
I have.

Freespool
VS200B (11/4/2007)hey Freespool!... didn't you catch a 88lb hooter on a tld30?
92lbs on a TLD 25
Again, so what? I've landed 185+ YFTs on my 30VSWs and 90 lb AJs on graphite10LDs. And last time I was in Venice I watched a guy land a 90 lb YFT on a Penn 560 with 30 lb PP. None of which has anything to do with durability or quality and everything to do with fishing skills.

www.fishing Harry what the hell man.How do you know what reels i own or rods?Just answer that and get back at me.
Just an educated guess, Will. Prove me wrong. I do however know what you told me when you painted my house and did some plaster work last spring...I don't recall anything about any gold reels last year. Oh well, at least the work you and Johndid was decent...after you tried to jack me on the price. At least you were still $1500 under the next best bid.

Harry

21 - 40 of 65 Posts