Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Well we got out to the three mile at about 1030 last night (nov 12). We had 2 doz live shrimp and first started floating them while I threw a yo-zuri. After about 25 min of nothing I took the cork off my shrimp and let it out weightless. I hooked a shark, fought him until he was just about finished then he cut me off. I was lazy and didn't tie a liter on. So this time I tied on a liter and decided to try these "gulp shrimp". I wasn't sure how people normally fish them so I just put it on a 1/4 oz red jig head. Within a couple minutes I hooked up and caught the first redfish you see. My friend changed his rig to a gulp on jighead and quickly hooked up as well. We both caught two stud reds. I also threw on one with a live crab I scooped up, but he quickly cut me off. I was out of swivels so I didn't tie on a liter. I wasn't surprised at all that happened. We also caught those 61 white trout that you see. A lot of times we weren't even working those gulp's. They'd be just sitting on the bottom. We never did go back to live shrimp. We left at about 3:20 this morning. All in all a good night.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
If in doubt, FRY THEM!!!!!!!!!! They are normally no good unless they are fresh, and there is nothing else available to cook. Some people like them. I find them a waste of time to prepair, but they are fun to catch. The meat is like mush.....

·
Registered
807 Posts
please excuse boatjob1...for he has been taught how to catch flounder and flounders is much better eating. there was a time when he would have eaten a blowfish...LMAO!

i fried a dozen up last night and they ate as good a specks! the trick is not to freeze but eat fresh...before frying place ur fish in a metal bowl with crush ice and water...this will firm them up...then place in meal and fry...yummy

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Great report. Those are somebig reds. All you need now is a fish grinder....to chum all that trout next time you go out. thanks for the report. Just outta curiosity were you at the Pensacola or GB side of the bridge?....

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks...I think they taste as good as most anything else. Of course they're not snapper, flounder or grouper, but other than those they're just as good as anything.The good thing about them is they're not a strong tasting fish.Their meat is very clean and white.You dont have to worry about cutting blood meat away to cut down on the strong taste. I never have a problem with them coming out crisp and firm in the fryerafter freezing them. I freeze all my fish in water so maybe that makes a difference. I was on the pensacola side though. About two lights up from where the hump starts.

·
Registered
867 Posts
White trout are wonderful!!!! fry them as suggested. Very tender, tasty and delicate white meat. ENJOY. and love those pics of the monster reds.

·
Registered
606 Posts
They are as good to eat as Specks. My dad taught me to make sure they are laying flat in the cooler and they are easier to clean after they have been on ice for the night, it firms them up. We always cleaned them the next day.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
captwesrozier (11/13/2007)please excuse boatjob1...for he has been taught how to catch flounder and flounders is much better eating. there was a time when he would have eaten a blowfish...LMAO!<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: #7f9db9 0.75pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 6pt; BORDER-TOP: #7f9db9 0.75pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 6pt; BACKGROUND: white; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6pt; BORDER-LEFT: #7f9db9 0.25pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 6pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #7f9db9 0.75pt solid"><P style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; mso-border-alt: solid #7F9DB9 .75pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid #7F9DB9 .25pt; mso-padding-alt: 6.0pt 6.0pt 6.0pt 6.0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Captain Wes, I stand corrected, (as usual). <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p></DIV>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Back in the day when your dad was teaching"ME" fishing tricksbecause you wouldn't cut the grass, I guess I did get a little spoiled. He "showed me the way" as far as putting some descentfish in the box. Let's get together and fry up some white trout and talk about old times. I sure miss not seeing good friends because of life?s obstacles..... Thanks for the schooling Captain. Great post by the way. Tight lines to all, T

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Nice report - big reds!

I've been cathcing the hell out of flounder the last few days on gulps. I'll take a nice fat spec overa flounder fillet anyday. Each to his own I guess. I give most of my flounderto my parents.

·
Registered
444 Posts
gator7_5 (11/15/2007)Nice report - big reds!

I've been cathcing the hell out of flounder the last few days on gulps. I'll take a nice fat spec overa flounder fillet anyday. Each to his own I guess. I give most of my flounderto my parents.
:looser just kidding.

Trout is pretty good, but lets not get carried away.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Im not getting carried away.. I think flounder is way overrated. Everyone's taste buds differ.Its noteven close to redfish, IMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, just my 2-cents worth on white trout. I really like them but to keep them from getting soft, I keep them on ice all the time. Clean by scailing, gutting, cutting down fins, & cutting the tail off. (this leaves the back bone only.) I trim off the belly and use for bait. When cleaned and washed off (in cold water), replaced in ice and kept on ice until ready to cook. Place in a plastic bag with meal & shake then into deep frier. As for freezing, I do this with them in a plastic bag with COLD clean water and frozen. Still not soft when thawed out.

Just my way & I like them.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Nice report! the white trout are good to eat if you freeze them in water they wont get mushy. we eat a bunch last year and they where great. There best fried.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts