Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Escambia BOCC has decided to spend $4.5 million of the FEMA $23.8 million grant (to replace the 3-mile fishing bridge-pier) to developa Southwest Escambia Sports Complex. To be run by the Perdido Bay Youth Sports Assoc.

The county has to give up $5.95 million, (25% of the $23.8 million) in order to spend some of the dedicated $23.8 million fishing bridge-pier grant moneyelsewhere.

The $4.5 million to be spent elsewhere for the SWESC/PBYSA is AFTER buying land with LOST money which was attempted on the Bauer Road property to the tune of $1.4 million.

Keep in mind also that the $4.5 million spent elsewhere is costing us $5.95 million.

So BEFORE land is even purchased, this PBYSA exclusive ballpark will cost the county over $10.4 million.

And has reduced what the replacement fishing bridge-pier could be by 50%.

Spend ALL the FEMA money on what it was intended to be spent on in the first place. None of this expensive shell game shenanigans.

Posted as a public service announcement to the community adversely effected.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I thought it was 10 million that FEMA was allowing for the bridge pier replacement? Anyway, 23 million is quite alot for a bridge pier over the bay. Seems like you could still have a nice pier in the bay while scoring with the extra money for the other projects. You are talking about a shitload of money.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a Mark O'Brien column from July 10, 2007:

The Escambia Commission is making a smart move, choosing to build a smaller Pensacola Bay fishing pier and using federal money for other recreation projects on the west side of town.

This way, bridge-lovers will get another chance to fish on the pier, which will replace an east-side institution, but folks closer to Perdido also will get funding for recreation projects there.

It?s also a smart compromise on federal red tape.

When the Federal Emergency Management Agency offered the county a total of $10.1 million to rebuild the old fishing bridge after Hurricane Ivan, many Pensacolians were taken aback. Surely, Uncle Sam and local ledaers had higher priorities.

But the feds said Escambia County either had to use the money on recreation activities or lose it, and the county must spend it by Sept. 16, 2008, the fifth anniversary of Ivan.

After a meeting Monday, commissioners were leaning toward using $4.7 million from FEMA to build a pier where the bridge?s remnants still stand, and then use the remainder on west-side activities.

Unfortunately, FEMA insists that the county can get only 75 percent of the remaining money because it?s not going to replace the fishing bridge that we really don?t need.

That?s Washington. Go figure."

The $10.1 million was the latest FEMA grant. So far to date FEMA has granted $23.8 million for removal and replacement. The PNJ had an article all about it in early July but I can't find it now.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The money spent for thecost of removal, okay, something that needed to be done with the eyesore. Gulf Breeze needs to do the same.The rest of the money needs to be given back, that pier was just before being a reef on the bay floor anyway, look at the other side,its about to fall in. We should only spend the money that is needed to be spent, and if set a example maybe others (La.) would follow. Weas a country give away to much anyway. As for buying land for recreation on thePerdido side, if we thought about it, there is someland over therethat use to be a flying field, not being used, anda portion of it could be deeded to the county.Would save a whole lot of money, I guess the county commissioners havenot thought of that, look at the park on 9 mile, it was aold flying field.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I watched that on TV also and got the impression that they didn't have the foggiest! I suddenly got the urge to watch both of their hands and put a hand on my billfold.

Where are these guys going to put a recreation park in West Pensacola? In the middle of Jones Creek Swamp or the Pitcher Plant Prairie. The last time that I was out there, there were two access roads, both single-laned; Gulf Breach Hwy anf Mobile Hwy. Both of them are overloaded as it is. How would they get folks to and from the games.

Lots of wuestions.

I say rebuild the pier for wha tit costs and give the surplus back to FEMA. JMHO.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I thought that there was a long term plan to replace the bridge currently used for traffic with a new 6 lane bridge built where the old fishing bridge was and to use the current bridge as a pier, just like was done when the older bridge was abandonded and became a pier. Is that still the long range plan? If so, it seems a waste to spend any money on the old fishing bridge if it will be torn down to make way for a new taffic bridge.Seems like I rember reading that if they started the planning and permitting on a new bridge now that by the time they got it built the bridge currently used for traffice would benear the end of it's projected useful lifespan for constant traffic including heavy trucks.

·
Registered
339 Posts
BJW, you are asking our county fathers to have common sense, and your right, I thought it was in the PNJ about a study to look at a new bridge, here again, our county fathers can not even fire a county manager much less decide on where money should be spent. It really should be given back, its for Hurricane relief, and fish pier is not hurricane relief, and Ivan did us a favor before someone got killed when it fell in on them.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
GIVE THE MONEY BACK??? :nonono

They need to rebuild a piece of the old bridge. Theturds still living in the FEMA trailers after 3F'ing years need a place to catchwhite touts and croakers.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Does anyone know what John Soule's relationship is with this deal? I know he was running operations there but was it on some sort of lease agreement with the city or did he have any "ownership" in that old bridge?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I have always said that the old bridge area is a good place for the NEW bridge. :doh And also think about a Permit for the fishing bridge:banghead

·
Registered
802 Posts
My wife and I were wondering how long it would take them to start on the new pier, because they were so quick to remove the old bridge. I told her my bet was they would find a way to screw the fisherman and use the money elsewhere. That's how politicians operate spend money where the largest voter influence lies.

Kevin:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BJW (10/6/2007)I thought that there was a long term plan to replace the bridge currently used for traffic with a new 6 lane bridge built where the old fishing bridge was and to use the current bridge as a pier, just like was done when the older bridge was abandonded and became a pier. Is that still the long range plan? If so, it seems a waste to spend any money on the old fishing bridge if it will be torn down to make way for a new taffic bridge.Seems like I rember reading that if they started the planning and permitting on a new bridge now that by the time they got it built the bridge currently used for traffice would benear the end of it's projected useful lifespan for constant traffic including heavy trucks.
As far as I know, the above statement is still "The Plan".

Maybe if the BOCC would use the FEMA grant to build a pier elsewhere in the county, then the county would have one more pier than they had total before Ivan.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seegul51 (10/6/2007) As for buying land for recreation on thePerdido side, if we thought about it, there is someland over therethat use to be a flying field, not being used, anda portion of it could be deeded to the county.Would save a whole lot of money, I guess the county commissioners havenot thought of that, look at the park on 9 mile, it was aold flying field.
I assume you are talking about Bronson Field.

Supposedly,(I have emails from a BOCC member claiming so) the BOCC have done so in the past and are trying again with the current NAS Commander.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Charlie2 (10/6/2007)
Where are these guys going to put a recreation park in West Pensacola? In the middle of Jones Creek Swamp or the Pitcher Plant Prairie. The last time that I was out there, there were two access roads, both single-laned; Gulf Breach Hwy anf Mobile Hwy. Both of them are overloaded as it is. How would they get folks to and from the games.

I say rebuild the pier for wha tit costs and give the surplus back to FEMA. JMHO.
The BOCC is currently seeking proposals or offers of west side land for the Sports Complex.

If nothing better comes to the attention of the BOCC, the plan is to push forward to aquire the Bronson Road property that brought down Touart.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Buzzbait (10/8/2007)Does anyone know what John Soule's relationship is with this deal? I know he was running operations there but was it on some sort of lease agreement with the city or did he have any "ownership" in that old bridge?
John Soule leased the bridge-pier from the county (not city property).

In order to get any FEMA grants, the county canceled the lease so that it could be considered "public recreation".

I have the documentation.

·
Registered
102 Posts
At least P-Cola is going to get a pier again look at Gulf breeze side they will no replace ANY of the old pier or put up a new one to take the old fishing bridge's place so be a little happy.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Lets regress in our memory here a few years before Ivan, what was the percent of people were fishing on the Pensacola side of the bridge to the Gulf Breeze side? I seem to remember that number being far less. Okay, so we need a pier for those who don't own a boat. Build one, but it does not have to be a monster, make it attractive to be seen when visitors come to Pensacola from Gulf Breeze, that would be a change, look at our other inlets to the town, trailer parks, junk yards, salvage yards, says alot about our economy and our pride. Then take the money left and build a good boat ramp for saltwater people. As for the ball park in perdido, Bronson field would be a excellant project place, its not being used by the Navy, and they could lease it just like they did on 9 mile road for Northeast Pensacola Rec. group. If our Representative does not get of his A$$ and bring something back to Pensacola, you could get some of the land on Mainside, damn sure not being used by the Navy. Bottom line, we all have some good ideas, problem is, none of us are elected officials, those who are elected have different ideas, and for the most part are not in the mainstream of the working class in Pensacola. Someone earlier said it best, when they talk with their hands, you need to grab your wallet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts