Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about going to 3 mi bridge tomorrow AM to chase reds and whatever else is there. Think there's any use in going?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yeah unfortunately or 27 and a half. But fortunately it was the smallest 1 I caught all night. I was at 8 when I left

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Yeah unfortunately or 27 and a half. But fortunately it was the smallest 1 I caught all night. I was at 8 when I left
FYI you must pinch the tail when it comes to slot limit. That fish appears about 29" according to the pic. You probably knew that but Id hate to see a fellow yakker get popped!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
just fyi for everyone. i went to pk&s saturday and talked to the owner (im horrible with names) and we discussed the light issue, after getting out the books and combing thru them for a bit we tacked down in writing, black and white for everyone, paddle/human powered craft of less than 16ft loa are required to have 3 visual distress signals, a pfd for each crew member (not required to wear it), and a white signaling light easily at hand during dusk to dawn hours, no 360 degree light is required until the vessel is 16ft loa. this is federal and florida regulations.

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
just fyi for everyone. i went to pk&s saturday and talked to the owner (im horrible with names) and we discussed the light issue, after getting out the books and combing thru them for a bit we tacked down in writing, black and white for everyone, paddle/human powered craft of less than 16ft loa are required to have 3 visual distress signals, a pfd for each crew member (not required to wear it), and a white signaling light easily at hand during dusk to dawn hours, no 360 degree light is required until the vessel is 16ft loa. this is federal and florida regulations.
Yup...but you better be on top of it when signalling boats headed your way. I do it even with the 360 light.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
guy at pk&s said (and i agree) that as low profile as we are and as close to the shore we usually stay im always alert at night and am fastidious about signalling, a 360 white light destroys my night vision and to the boats around us usually will just look like something on the shore.

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
rufus1138 said:
guy at pk&s said (and i agree) that as low profile as we are and as close to the shore we usually stay im always alert at night and am fastidious about signalling, a 360 white light destroys my night vision and to the boats around us usually will just look like something on the shore.
I agree totally. I'm not one to preach about safety equipment, but I am a firm believer in keeping a safe mindset. ALWAYS keep your wits about ya, mind your surroundings and never assume you're seen just because you have a little white light behind ya. I was night-fishing in my buddy's boat a few months ago and we just about KO'd a yakker who was fishing under the bridge...with no light. This dude didn't see us coming until we were about fifty yds away. Luckily, I saw him first and grabbed the throttle. My buddy was oblivious and so was the yakker. He did start to move, but had I not throttled the boat down, he would've been toast.

And yeah, the little white light at a hundred yds can look just like a dock light a mile away.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts