Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am becoming addicted to my kayak and am thinking about launching off of 17th ave tonight next to 3 mile bridge. Anyone else going out? or have any tips for over there? I've never fished the 3 mile bridge area.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
the times I went I launched in the gulf breeze side. make sure u have ur safety gear and lights . also check the estimTed winds before u go it can get rough..

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I am with Ox launch on the south side. Don't go alone it can get bad in a hurry and watch the weather. Just be safe and wear a pfd!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm ok. any reason to launch on the southside? better surf and less wind or just easier to launch? yea, i have all my safety gear and some lighting. I've seen people launching on the pensacola side alot so thats why i was considering it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice. i would like to hit a nice red or some trout tonight. I've been seeing people in the yaks pulling up reds for weeks around 3 mile.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Make sure you have a light on your PFD. You can search here for a recent story about a lone yakker who capsized near 3mb at night - no light, no radio and too tired to get back on the yak. He was dang lucky another yakker (BFine) found him. Don't be that guy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea, i went last night. caught a huge sailcat, 2 trout and one undersized red. cant win em all...

**edit. i was also using a smaller than normal Gulp shrimp. i believe it was the 5cm. im used to using the 7 or 8cm or w/e the size is. so that could explain why the trout and red were on the small side.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another reason to launch on the south side is I know several people that have had their vehicle broken into and vandalized at night.
Ahh, not cool.

Quick question off topic too, but the south side boat ramp is $10 right? Well they didn't have any envelopes in the drop box thing so I couldn't really pay due to not having the window decal pulloff on the drop envelope. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
leeroy87 said:
Ahh, not cool.

Quick question off topic too, but the south side boat ramp is $10 right? Well they didn't have any envelopes in the drop box thing so I couldn't really pay due to not having the window decal pulloff on the drop envelope. Is this normal?
I'm pretty sure you only have to pay if you have a trailer or use the ramp. I use niether.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The preferred launching area is pretty dependent on which direction the wind's coming from. If it's coming out of the South, you want to launch at Wayside in Gulf Breeze. Use the little sandy area behind the rocks next to the ramp not the ramp itself so you don't have to pay.

If the wind's coming out of the North you'll want to launch from Greenshores on the right just before the bridge. DO NOT launch from 17th Ave unless you leave a doberman or a pit bull behind to guard your car!

Good luck!
Alex

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The preferred launching area is pretty dependent on which direction the wind's coming from. If it's coming out of the South, you want to launch at Wayside in Gulf Breeze. Use the little sandy area behind the rocks next to the ramp not the ramp itself so you don't have to pay.

If the wind's coming out of the North you'll want to launch from Greenshores on the right just before the bridge. DO NOT launch from 17th Ave unless you leave a doberman or a pit bull behind to guard your car!

Good luck!
Alex
lol. im glad i took the aforementioned advise and launched at wayside cause i was going to launch at 17th. I may be going again tonight. Anyone know a good way to catch some bait on the kayak? sabiki? i have a hard time throwing a cast net from the kayak.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
leeroy87 said:
lol. im glad i took the aforementioned advise and launched at wayside cause i was going to launch at 17th. I may be going again tonight. Anyone know a good way to catch some bait on the kayak? sabiki? i have a hard time throwing a cast net from the kayak.
If you want to get some big reds just jig up some white trout and drop them down live!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
funny thing is i can't seem to catch any white trout. all i get are the specks.

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
I've launched at the Texar Area on 17th. I don't use the ramp here either just the sandy bank but have only gone in daylight hours so never had any troubles with theft or vandals. Definitely gets to rocking out there around the pilings, pfd is a must. I've done the cast net from the kayak before and caught some bait but at night you'd probably be pushing your luck because if your rope were to catch could give you a tip. Better off catching your bait on a rod, pinfish or white trout can land you some fat reds.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i think i remember catching the pinfish on shrimp and bream hooks. that sound right?

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
If you have some torn up gulp, it's a good use for it instead of just tossing it in the drink. Little tougher than shrimp. But they'll eat about anything

1 - 20 of 28 Posts