Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally managed to sneak in my first trip of 2009 and it was well worth the wait. I escaped from work at around 7, hurried home loaded up the gear and hooked up the boat. I picked up my Dad at around 8, and we were on the water by 8:30. It was fairly windy when we hit the mouth of the bayou, and as we moved into the bay it was blowing around 15 knots. The tide was moving out fairly well and I pulled into my favorite spot and Dad tossed out the anchor. We busted out the trout rods, Dad selected a Gulp 4" pearl white shrimp, and I went straight for the nuclear chicken jerk shad. We were catching white trout as soon as the bait got wet, and a few of them were small enough to use for bait on the bigger gear so I tossed 3 or so in the bait bucket. I started seeing stuff popping on top of the water in the light just in front of the bow, so I walked up there and chunked my jerk shad to it and...BAM...drag starts screaming on my abu cardinal 503, and I land the first red of the night, and a slot fish as well...:clap

Sorry about the pics, my Dad and digital cameras don't get alongvery well. Before I even got my bait back in the water Dad's rod with the live trout on it bows up...and... IT'S ON AGAIN...So Dad brings his first red to the boat and I net it real quick...

At this point the wind changes directions andthe chop lays down a bit and I can see a school of reds circling in the light. The bad thing about the wind shifting is now we are blowing up under the bridge. I can't resist a shot at that school so as the stern of the boat is slowing drifting under the bridge I move up to the bow and cast to the school...FISH ON...and here it is red number two for me and three for the night

We are almost completely under the bridge now, but I can still see a few redsaround the edge of the light and well what can I say except for the famous phrase "Just one more cast" and once again...ZZZZZZZZZZ......zzzzzzz.....gotta love the sound of that drag on light tackle!!!!!!

More excellent camera work on that shot..LMAO.. Well we had to move out from under the bridge and the wind was blowing harder again soI was seriously thinking about calling it a night, but Dad wanted to catch another one. since I had him 3 to one I decided to let him have another chance. We repositioned the boat and put the stern facing wherewe were watching those reds feed and put the baits back in the water.After I tossed my gulp out I set it in the rod holder, and was getting the gear packed up when my rod bent double...zzzzzzz...zzzzzz...zzzzzzz...and how about another picture

Once we got that one released, I reach into my tackle bag and pull out my Gulp bucket, and hand Dad a nuclear chicken shrimp. Not3 minutes after he puts it in the water....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....This fish has some size to it SWEET. And here is where the story gets interesting....The red makes a run from dad's side of the boat to mine, so we are changing places. Just as Dad gets to the other side of the boat, the boat lunges under a wave, andDad's foot hits the cooler....SPLASH....He goes into the water head firstdown tohis waist....I grab his jacket and pull him up, and his rod comes back out with him, and he still had the fish. Now I am laughing so hard that I can barely stand it. The best part is when he splashed over the side the fish was on top of the water about3 feet away from were Dad almost went overboard. He scared that fish so bad that it ran like a scalded dog, it ran farther out than it was when he hooked it. So it took him at least 10 more minutes to land that fish. Meanwhile, I am still laughing at him. Here is thepic

What a fattie, and he went 36 inches!!!! Dad sure looks wet in this pic... HAAAAAAA... Since there was no way to follow up that last performance, and I was getting tired, we called it a night around midnight. What can I say, what a great night. The reds are definately still running and if the wind ever lays down again I will be back out with a quickness. All total we managed 6 reds, 2 of them were slot fish, and we kept about 2 dozen white trout. If we would have stayed we could have caught them all night, but unfortunately I have to work to support my fishing habit.

Good luck and good fishing,

Glastronix

·
Registered
937 Posts
Nice going fellas. :clapThanks for the report. Haven't made my first trip of the year yet (sick) but when I finally do I hope it turns out like yours. The end of that report is pretty damn funny, but it sounds like he was close to going overboard.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Don't you know you're not supposed to laugh at your father when something like that happens! Great story and sounds like a blast for all involved.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Great report !!!!!!!!!! You be the man at the 3 mile bridge :bowdown:bowdown:bowdown Do you ever NOT catch anything ?? Thanks for the pictures. Don't you know your not supposed to laugh at your parents ?? Good story.

Scott

·
Registered
358 Posts
Great job on getting out there. I wan't going to make it. Glad to see the Bull Reds are still there. I might be out there this weekend if the weather decides to cooperate. Congrats on a successful night.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Awsesome pictures Glastronix. Do you keep track of how many Reds the Glastron boat has seen?..quite a few I'm sure!!!. thanks for the report.:clap

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Sounds and Look's like you hade a good time, Enjoy every moment you have with your Dad, Glad you two caught some fish!! and had a great Time:clap:letsdrink

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nice report. Glad to hear you're still tearing them up at the bridge. Like someone else said...Do you ever not catch fish?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thats awesome, glad your guys had some fun. I wont be able to go again until the weekend. Hoepfully I can find the reds then. MANI WOULD HAVE LOVED SEEING YOUR DAD FALL OUT HTE BOAT. I know that sounds bad, but I know his dad and that is some funny stuff. Hows the reel since it got a bath? Figure it needs aserious cleaning, quick like, or its going to be toast!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl10_lblFullMessage> Awsesome pictures Glastronix. Do you keep track of how many Reds the Glastron boat has seen?..quite a few I'm sure!!!. thanks for the report.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I haven't kept track, but yep we have landed quite a few especially in the last year.

You be the man at the 3 mile bridge
Do you ever NOT catch anything ??
<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl15_lblFullMessage>Nice report. Glad to hear you're still tearing them up at the bridge. Like someone else said...Do you ever not catch fish?
We don't always find the reds...sometimes we just catch a billion white trout and whatever trash fish is hanging around.

Thanks for all the responses guys and gals....Good luck and good fishing to everybody in 2009.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts